Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 hunting up north..should i go? >

hunting up north..should i go?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting up north..should i go?

Old 11-12-2005, 10:48 AM

Default RE: hunting up north..should i go?

Not sure where in NY your hunting ? check the zones, some are Rifle zones, some are shotgun zones(slug's). I say it worth it. You don't need gun permit in NY unless your using a handgun and You don't want to bring one to NY,JAIL TIME if your caught without a NY permit. Many states have different laws about gun travel, you can't go wrong with your gun in a locked case and ammo in a separate case. Just bring along a old or current hunting license, you will need to show proof of having passed hunters safety or had a prior hunting license from any state....
Old 11-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

i wont have but one afternoon to scout. what should i do? if its not worth it ill just stay in NC and go when the season is out.
Go and have a good time with her family.
Because that what ThanksGiving all about.
Now to the hunting part.

If its a farm it probbly has creeks running across it some where.
Walk the creeks till you find a spot where the deer cross the creek.
There will be a trail some where they cross regularly.
Then back off about 40 yards or so and put up a tree stand.
When the bucks chase the does across the creek you will be there.

I hope this helps.
And Good Luck

Old 11-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

The way I see it you can both get a couple days in of hunting a new area and be in the good books of the girl friend and her family. Just because her dad only took a doe last year doesn't mean its not a good area. Not everybody has the same drive and hunting skills. The deer camp next to ours shoots all week and is lucky to get a 25% success rate. We limit out and rarely have to shoot a deer more than once. They drink and play cards all night and we are in the sack by 9.30 pm and in the stands by 6.00 am. Not passing judgment as thats how they have fun and thats ok with me. Just saying we are a more lethal camp
Old 11-12-2005, 04:30 PM

well looks like im going to go. im not sure what part but i do know its a shotgun zone. i will be using a winchester 1300 12ga. does it have to be a slug? will i need to modify by barrel for slugs? were going to leave on tuesday so i will have wensday and thursday to hunt. i will be taking my 4wheeler to get in and out of the woods so that will help with the scouting alittle i guess
Old 11-12-2005, 04:46 PM

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!