Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Calling

Old 11-09-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Calling

I have a way of calling that i use, and was wondering if any others have used it. (Will it be effective out of rut?) What I do is hit a primos can doe bleat, then use a grunt call, then a rattle bag. I do this to simulate a doe, then a buck, and then two fighting it out. Would this prove to be affective out of the rut too?
Old 11-12-2005, 04:23 PM

Default RE: Calling

You seem to be covering all aspects of calling just remember that immediatly after any calling sequence wether it is rattling or grunting get ready cause you do not want to get caught with your pants down! Had this happen muzzleloading, finished a rattling sequence only to have a 150" class buck bust in. Muzzleloader was at my side and I had to sit absolutely still. He was big and smart and never hung around long enough to give me a good shot. Had I been ready I would be admiring him on the wall instead of telling this story.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:23 PM

I can relate ive lost one the same way...
Old 11-13-2005, 06:28 AM

I only use a deer call is it set at young buck, I think. I usually grunt twice, one after the other in an hour. Is this too much or not enouhg. Should I use a different setting other than young buck,like doe bleat or something. I have not master the call of the wild yet.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:07 AM

wow, bet he was nice....was it during rut or not?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:08 AM

Forgot to say welcome to the forums cat and redhawk.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:24 PM

This event took place just prior to the rut and Hi back. I usually like to rattle light first and maybe work a few grunts in but will wait twenty minutes or so before I get into it again with a little more agression. Another thing is remember that it is o.k. to kick at the groung and move the leaves around etc. Also if your are cold and stiff good time to warm up a bit but stay focused on your surroundings. I did once get caught making a ruckus but with the grunt tube in my mouth I managed to stop him long enough for a fatal shot. 100% lucky but at least I was there experiencing this event first hand...what a rush!