Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Rifle season opens this weekend (MO)! Any tips? PLEASE?! >

Rifle season opens this weekend (MO)! Any tips? PLEASE?!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rifle season opens this weekend (MO)! Any tips? PLEASE?!

Old 11-09-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Rifle season opens this weekend (MO)! Any tips? PLEASE?!

Well, last year was kind of hard. There were so many hunters shooting everything that moved, the deer were very skiddish and didn't stay in one place. THis year Im prepared, but I havetwo problems. I havea 30.06 that kicks like a mule and I sighted in a 50 yards. I wasn't accurate enough at 100. Will the bullet fall if I sight it in at 50 yards and try shooting at 100. Can I put the cross hairs right on the target I want to shoot. Also if there was a deer 30 yards, could I put the cross hairs right on the target I want to shoot? Another issue. I have scouted at evening because Im in college. The deer bed in a certain area around 4:30-5:00, before then they are in the woods. Is the same in the morning or is it backwards? ANy suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle season opens this weekend (MO)! Any tips? PLEASE?!

i live in MO and i havnt seen any deer this year so far and im getting worried
Old 11-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I'll be in the MO woods too. I'm driving up from Florida to hunt on a friend's farm. Wish I could help ya bu ti can't .I do understand they are in full rut so I'm going to be using a Primos can and hang a doe scent pad out. I'll let ya know what happens.
Chuck7
Old 11-09-2005, 06:36 PM

The 30-06 is a flat shootersighted in at50 yards you should be ok to shoot anywhere from 20 to 100 yards. I have been out the last two weekends and the bucks are chasing the does heavily. The buck I arrowed this weedend had stained tarsal gland and a swollen neck, so the time could not be better in my opinion.
Last year was tough and this year will be no different. There is going to be a full moon on the 15th, and warm temps for the opener on Saturday. There is also a bumper crop of acorns this year, so the deer dont have to move much for food.
All this being said I will be on the ridges between bedding areas, and plan on hunting all day, with the full moon the deer will be moving midday.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Sit all day and if you come up dry this weekend try getting together enough people for a drive next Saturday or Sunday afternoon.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ya thats what i plan on doing?
which part of missouri is every1 hunting in??
northwest mo here...
Old 11-09-2005, 07:04 PM

Ihunt Fort Leonard Wood. Good hunting but a pain its muzzleloader or shotgun only.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

osage county (central)
Old 11-09-2005, 08:38 PM

i'm going to be up in NE MO...i also had a quick question what is the number of deer a hunter can take in MO? I've been hunting several years, but every year i would just go out and get the one buck i wanted...so I'm just wondering what the legal limits are.
Thanks,
Travis
Old 11-09-2005, 08:45 PM

AKASharkey, where do you hunt on Ft. Wood. Seems like they have kept my areas I've scouted out closed off for bow season. I found a spot that I am going to go, its a hour and 10 minute walk, but hopefully there won't be many people there.

Quick Reply: Rifle season opens this weekend (MO)! Any tips? PLEASE?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.