Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pro and Cons of Deer Hunting

Old 11-08-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Pro and Cons of Deer Hunting

Hello to all, I'm new here and to be honest I'm not a deer hunter or much of a hunter in general, I went pheasant hunting for the first time this weekend and enjoyed it. Now to the point, I am doing a project for College and I was wondering what do you consider the pros and cons of Deer hunting, (I support deer hunting and hunting in general if you were concerned), but I know there are good and bad things about deer hunting like; Good: Keeps population under control, Bad: there is almost always an accident any more in more detail would be great. Thanks
Jake
Old 11-09-2005, 05:50 AM

Default RE: Pro and Cons of Deer Hunting

Pros
1.Keeps the population in hand
2.Nice sport to get he entire family envoled
3.Keep meat that is good for you in your freezer
4. cna give me to charities. There is one I think it is called hunters for hungry or someting like that.

Cons
1. Some accidents. I do not think they happen as much as you think, but they do happen
Well I can't think of any...lol

Old 11-09-2005, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Cons
1. Some accidents. I do not think they happen as much as you think, but they do happen
Well I can't think of any...lol
The way I see it accidents happen.
But if its your time to go it wouldn't matter if you are in the woods,
Or driving up the road.
If its your time to go its your time to go.

Now the positive side is ike said before.
The meat is healther for you.
It has a lot less fat content.
And it doesn't have any additives that people put,
In feed that is fed to farm animals.

Like I said there are accidents in the woods.
But compared to other things like car accidents - etc etc etc.

Hunting is a safer past time.
Plus you can unwind and forget about the troubles of,
The world for a while and relaxe.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea i dont believe there are any cons to deer hunting? besides accidents of coarse but there will be accidents in everything we do.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pros: infinite list of things
Cons: probably leads to a lot of divorces[:-][8D]
Old 11-09-2005, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

Pros:
Keep animal population in check so as to avoid diseases, less vehicle/deer accidents;
excellent way to bring up kids, family time;
allows you to relax and not worry about a thing, being one with nature;
takes you back to the days of our ancestors, hunting to provide for your family;
excellent source of protein, as mentioned nothing unnatural put into the wildlife

Cons:
Accidents, but as mentioned, if it's your time to go, it could happen just as easily on the road traveling some where and hitting the deer with your vehicle if the balance is unchecked

Old 11-09-2005, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

I think the pros have been pretty well outlined, so I will do a few cons.

1. Season is short, so I spend my offseason time obsessing about the upcoming season (some may consider this a pro).
2. I spend too much time on this forum while at work (see con #1).
3. I have to drive 13 hours to get to my hunting lease.

That's about it for me!
Old 11-09-2005, 08:43 AM

LP. . .accidentsare a real strange negative. . .as a college student do you know much about statisticle analysis?

How many guys shooting vs number of accidents etc. So now you then look that those same types of numbers for those of us that drive cars, we should all stop driving. If you look at the number of mistake made by doctors vs number of patients served, we should stop going to the doctor. So perhaps you might want to focus on some other neagtive, which I am having a hard time finding.

Net net. . .you can slice and dice almost any such data to paint a picture to suit the story you wish. So if your wishing to put the ANTI slant on it enjoy yourself, but if you wish to paint hunting in a more positive light then pcik and present your data in a fashion that will send the message you wish to send. Millions of folks in the woods and many less accidents than one encounters when driving down the road. Hunting does not cause accidents careless people do.

Good luck to you. . . . .
Old 11-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Georgetownboys

LP. . .accidentsare a real strange negative. . .as a college student do you know much about statisticle analysis?

How many guys shooting vs number of accidents etc. So now you then look that those same types of numbers for those of us that drive cars, we should all stop driving. If you look at the number of mistake made by doctors vs number of patients served, we should stop going to the doctor. So perhaps you might want to focus on some other neagtive, which I am having a hard time finding.

Net net. . .you can slice and dice almost any such data to paint a picture to suit the story you wish. So if your wishing to put the ANTI slant on it enjoy yourself, but if you wish to paint hunting in a more positive light then pcik and present your data in a fashion that will send the message you wish to send. Millions of folks in the woods and many less accidents than one encounters when driving down the road. Hunting does not cause accidents careless people do.

Good luck to you. . . . .

DING-DING, you're the WINNER!! Well said!!
Old 11-09-2005, 10:34 AM

Citing accidents as a "con" to hunting is a spurious argument. Accidents are not a "con" to hunting. They are actually a "pro".

Hunting in general has one of the lowest accident rates among participants of sport-related or outdoor recreational activities. For example, according to the National Safety Council Accident Facts, hunting has a lower accident rate than fishing, bowling, and golf. I would bet if you ask a thousand golfers to list some "cons" of golfing, not one would mention accidental injuries. Yet for some reason this sounds reasonable when the same question is asked of hunters, even though golfers suffer 185.59 injuries per 100,000 participants, whereas hunters suffer 7.06 (yes, golf is 26 times as risky as hunting).

Perhaps this is because people tend to focus on a sensational aspect of some injuries, like bullet wounds or being shot with an arrow, things hardly expected when trying to bowl a spare, but in fact these types of accidents only comprise a tiny portion of all the injuries (I would guess falls are the most common).

Personally I can't think of a single "con" to hunting in general, and deer hunting in particular. Yes, there is the money expense, but it is possible to hunt successfully on a budget, and besides, my skis cost much more than my rifle. It's true that it can be time consuming, but if you are enjoying yourself during that time, it's time well spent.

Quick Reply: Pro and Cons of Deer Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.