Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Need help!! Shot deer and back legs kicked high? >

Need help!! Shot deer and back legs kicked high?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need help!! Shot deer and back legs kicked high?

Old 11-08-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Need help!! Shot deer and back legs kicked high?

Hey guys need your help, shot at anice buck at about 130yrds to 150yards,wind was blowing steady at 10-15mph, when I shot it s back legs kicked higher than its head then it ran 30-40yrds stopped looked around trying to see whereI was did not see me and went another 50-60yards to the forest. when it ran away his tail was not up he just left in a fast trot.I waited a good 15min and went to check for blood or furwhereI shot him, found nothing no fur no blood,it was in a muddy field. then I went to the forest to check the place he entered and nothing there too. Did I miss him or did i hit him in the gut? How far would he go if he was hit in the gut? I`ll be there tommorrow to check need some advice.Thx Elmer
Old 11-08-2005, 02:53 PM

Default RE: Need help!! Shot deer and back legs kicked high?

I've seen that a lot of times on hunting videos, ect but I dont think it means a gut shot.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should never say never with deer, but, deer shot with rifles never run 40 yds and stop to look back to see what bothered them.

That said, always take the time to really follow up a shot to determine what happened. I've seen more than a couple deer recovered after a "miss".

My guess is that the bullet hit the ground near the deer and he spooked.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:12 PM

...One that thing that bugs me deep down sometimes is when people come on here and post shot reactions and ask where it's hit, expecting us to know exactly where your bullet hit and wondering where the damn thing is. please, study this stuff before season so you don't lose deer during the season. if i had to say, i'd say it's a miss. if he stopped at 40 yards and looked back before runningn off and you didnt find a single hair or drop of blood, he's probably a-ok. sorry if i came off as a prick, but i've seen too many of these in this forum and in bowhunting expecting everyone to tell you that the deer is laying down in a patch of multi-floral rose 172 yards away dead of a liver shot.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer_37

...One that thing that bugs me deep down sometimes is when people come on here and post shot reactions and ask where it's hit, expecting us to know exactly where your bullet hit and wondering where the damn thing is. please, study this stuff before season so you don't lose deer during the season. if i had to say, i'd say it's a miss. if he stopped at 40 yards and looked back before runningn off and you didnt find a single hair or drop of blood, he's probably a-ok. sorry if i came off as a prick, but i've seen too many of these in this forum and in bowhunting expecting everyone to tell you that the deer is laying down in a patch of multi-floral rose 172 yards away dead of a liver shot.
Hopeit never hapens to you, mistakes happen to the best of us!
Old 11-08-2005, 05:11 PM

like i said, i dont mean to sound like a prick, and im not saying im perfect, but it gets old on here when people look for a few minutes and come back here expecting answers on where the deer is. i apologize if thats how i sounded, i could have worded it differently. im just really annoyed by the hordes of people that come on here wanting to know where their deer was shot.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot deer and had them run 20 to 30 yards and stop. hit him again and he did the same thing both shots were right behind the shoulder. As for this deer I would guess miss and not a gut shot they will usually hunch up when gut shot. But again never say never we have recovered a number of deer we thought were misses. Always look again. If going back again look for some crows to be circling in the area that could mean a dead animal. Helped us find one once.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer_37

like i said, i dont mean to sound like a prick, and im not saying im perfect, but it gets old on here when people look for a few minutes and come back here expecting answers on where the deer is. i apologize if thats how i sounded, i could have worded it differently. im just really annoyed by the hordes of people that come on here wanting to know where their deer was shot.
It`s ok I understand, but I did not want to push him, so I just looked on the field and very little in the forest because i will be there tommorrow, and I just wanted some other opinions from more experienced hunters, That way we all learn, better for us and for the deer,I would just hate it if I hit it and not looked for it because of what I thoughtand not get opinions from other hunters that could have experienced something like this. Elmer
Old 11-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first buck I ever shot did EXACTLY the same thing. It looks like a mule kicking.
He was hit in both lungs and was dead in 50 yds.
I would say chances are good he is dead or wounded nearby.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

The mule kicks is either a vital hit (often the heart produces such a reaction but have seen them do this with other vital organs) or a flat out miss. Gut shot don't think so, they usually hunch but if they fail to do this they run with their heads straight out and look....well sick. I also have never seen a gut shot deer stop that didn't lay down or hunch up noticably...they usually run to cover at good clip when get punched in the guts. The fact he stopped means nothing IME, seen it go both ways. Same with tail position, it can go either way.

You did the right thing backing off till daylight. Tramping around in the dark clueless does no good and can taint anysign you might have to go on. Wait till it is good and light start at where you shot, follow that to where you saw him stop and enter the woods. I would walk the edge of the field/woods if your not 100% to the exact location, looking for any sign. Miscalculations happen easily so take your time!

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Need help!! Shot deer and back legs kicked high?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.