Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Well, My 2nd Deer Ever...7 Point, with pic's. >

Well, My 2nd Deer Ever...7 Point, with pic's.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Well, My 2nd Deer Ever...7 Point, with pic's.

Old 11-05-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Well, My 2nd Deer Ever...7 Point, with pic's.

I believe I made a post on these forums last year about my first deer, a fairly nice 8 point buck. Guess I'll follow up with the story on this buck I got this morning.

I've never been too serious about hunting, I mean I'll head out every now and then to harass deer, but I rarely have enough time to devote to it. Anyhow, this season I had decided I'd try and take a doe if possible, just to have some venison in the freezer, but other then that I really hadn't planned on doing any serious hunting. Well, after a walk in the woods, I had discovered an impressive amount of scrapes/rubs in one general area, so it being a doe day today, I figured I'd give it a go, and if not a buck, at least I could hope to harvest a doe.

I wound up getting out into the woods at about 6:20, and still had about 12 minutes until legal shooting hours, so I did my best to position myself in a small natural blind I had built a few days before the season started. My gear basically consists of an H&R .243 rifle, camo shirt, and a little pad to sit on, and no serious scent removers, so I really wasn't expecting much. Then again, if anything last year taught me it doesn't take that much. Well around 7:10 I started to hear something walking behind my blind, but I really didn't pay it much thought. It continued to grow closer, so finally curiosity got the best of me and I turned around to see a nice 7 point, about 10 yards from me and on the wrong side of the tree. I attempted to cock my gun, swing around the tree, and shoot all in one fluid motion, which resulted in me jamming my finger, sliding out from behind the tree, and making a complete idiot of myself. I finally got composed again and had enough time to put a 95-grain ballistic tip through his shoulder. It worried me at first, as his reaction made it look like I missed, but I watched him start to fumble over the next ridge, where I put another bullet through his shoulder. That dropped him, but the odd thing was I never got an exit wound, and on top of that there was NO blood trail. I'm not real pleased with that, especially if I didn't see where he fell, there's a fair chance I wouldn't have found him. Anyhow, It was a pretty exciting hunt, and I'm definitely in the hunting mood again.

Old 11-05-2005, 09:06 AM

Default RE: Well, My 2nd Deer Ever...7 Point, with pic's.

Very nice buck congrats
Old 11-05-2005, 09:10 AM

Very nice Congrats
Old 11-05-2005, 09:11 AM

Congratulations, nice deer. Your experience with Ballistic Tips isn't surprising to me. You might try the 100 grain Power Points or other more conventional bullets next time, but at 10 Yards you're likely to get maximum expansion with any bullet, and minimum penetration. You really don't need the longrange benefits of Ballistic Tips at 10 yardsAgain, nice deer and congratulations on a job well done. (If you handload, try the 95 grain Partitions, they should penetrate enough for a blood trail).
Old 11-05-2005, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice southern buck
Old 11-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

GREATTTTTTTTT JOB .... U DA MAN !

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 11-05-2005, 09:31 AM

Well thats definitley true about the Ballistic Tips at that range. The 8 point I shot was close to the same range, give or take a few. I had used Core-Lokt which I hate with a passion, but it terms of knockdown power, they were clearly superior, at least for that range.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

congrats young man
Old 11-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Way to go Mike! Congrat's!
Old 11-05-2005, 12:55 PM

nice buck, congrats.

Quick Reply: Well, My 2nd Deer Ever...7 Point, with pic's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.