Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What is your favorite time in the woods? >

What is your favorite time in the woods?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is your favorite time in the woods?

Old 11-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What is your favorite time in the woods?

What is your favorite time when you are out deer hunting? I don't mean what is the most productive hunting time . . . I mean when is it best out in the woods?

For me it is a toss up. One of my favorite times is walking in the dark to my ambush spot in the morning well before sunup. I don't like getting out of the truck -- I'm still a little sleepy then and dreading getting into the cold, all the little details of getting going are a pain -- loading the rifle, pulling on garments, pulling on the orange vest, etc. But once I am away from the truck and making my way in the dark to a place I have decided is the place to conceal myself on that particular morning, given the wind conditions, this is a very pleasant time. I'm excited about the prospects of success -- anything can happen! -- and the woods are very cool. Owls may be dialoguing back and forth to each other. Stars may be blazing out of the sky.

Another favorite time is setting down at the place where I will finish the day's hunt -- my afternoon ambush spot. I may have been out hunting all day and may be a little tired, so stopping and sitting down is a pleasant break and relaxing. At this time -- still well before sun down -- there isn't a lot of chance of seeing deer, that time will come later, so I don't have to focus so much on hunting and being still but can relax and look around and enjoy the woods or field where I am at.

Share your thoughts on this subject. No wrong answers.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What is your favorite time in the woods?

ORIGINAL: Alsatian

What is your favorite time when you are out deer hunting? I don't mean what is the most productive hunting time . . . I mean when is it best out in the woods?

November and December. At night around the camp fire and hearing from my partners of the big ones that got away! Always Conversation and good laughs!
Old 11-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

After getting comfy in my stand before sunup, looking at the stars in a clear sky, listening to the woods come alive.

Also, 30 minutes before dark. I know you said not just the most productive but I get excited with anticipation every time.

[/align]
Old 11-03-2005, 01:41 PM

After getting comfy in my stand before sunup, looking at the stars in a clear sky, listening to the woods come alive.

Also, 30 minutes before dark. I know you said not just the most productive but I get excited with anticipation every time.
I have to agree, right before sunup and sundown.Theymay be the most productive times, but I swear, everytime I am sitting there,I am thinking "This is it, Im gunna see one ANY second now". The thrill is great.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

I love walking to my stand when there's a full moon and snow on the ground. Everything is lit up and it's beautiful!

Also love it right when the sun is coming up and all the creatures are coming alive all around me.

Also can't beat it when there's a fresh blanket of snow (and no wind). Everything in the woods seems to be absolutely quiet!
Old 11-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Min has to be when the darkness is just starting to brighten. I'm in my stand and all of my surroundings are vague and it's hard to make out exactly what they are. My eyes play tricks on me and everything looks like a deer.

As the woods become brighter and brighter until I can see more and more. This anticipation and change in front of my eyes is my favorite time.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GSPsnFORDs

I love walking to my stand when there's a full moon and snow on the ground. Everything is lit up and it's beautiful!

Also love it right when the sun is coming up and all the creatures are coming alive all around me.
That’s my best time too.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

My favorite time is the afternoon. I absolutely do not like early morning hunting.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:24 PM

My favorite time hunting is getting to my stand in Northern Wisconsin about an hour before light, on a cold crystal clear morning with a fresh blanket of snow, and looking up at the millions of stars and hoping my Dad in heaven can see through my eyes. That's Hunting.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:37 PM

Anytime in the bush hunting is a good time. I especially like seeing the sunrise and the smell of the bush after a light rain shower overnight.

I have always wanted to stalk a stag in the snow,..... that'll happen one day.

Dawn - Southern Highlands, New South Wales

Mountain Mist - Wild Horse Gap, Victoria

Dusk - Far West, New South Wales

Quick Reply: What is your favorite time in the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.