HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Can anyone help?? I am stumped. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/119462-can-anyone-help-i-am-stumped.html)

jackpot 11-02-2005 05:58 PM

Can anyone help?? I am stumped.

Well it seems like every year there is something that comes between myself and killing the 2 monsters in the woods. I have found sheds off these deer for the past 3 years and they both will score over 170. Up until 3 weeks ago I had a pretty good bead on them and where there bedding and feeding routes were and even found a couple of sproutestore up and a couple nice size scapes. So here is my problem......

3 weeks ago the neighbor north of our farm started LOGGING his land!!!!Not only that but the farmer that leases the land turned his cattle in on here for the first 2 weeks of October and has since removed them.Ever since then I have not seen hide nor hair of either of these bucks or any other deer. All sign has stopped and what was there has went dry. It is like they packed up and left the country. Needless to say that it has ended my early season bow hunting and since gun seasonis coming up here quickly in Missouri I am considering hunting other land in another county.

What would you guys suggest I do?? I have always trusted the guys who are on here and I really need some guidence on this.

Thanks,
Jackpot

Zoomer 11-02-2005 06:18 PM

RE: Can anyone help?? I am stumped.

OK my 2 cents. You didnt say how much property you or your neighbor have but if the neighbor logged (chain saws, skidders and all the ruckus) the deer probably did move. They (hopefully) moved to your land!

Was it a clearcut or selective logging or thinning? Selective cutting or thinning can be a blessing. I bet they didnt go far. Find the babes (Does) and you find the horns. Good luck

cutter81 11-02-2005 11:03 PM

Give them a few weeks. I had a similar problem a few years back where I had logging done on my land. The bucks I had been watching went invisable for about 3 weeks but they returned. It's just a waiting game now. Like Zoomer said, find the does and they won't be far behind come the rut.

DOUBLE-LUNG 11-03-2005 05:13 AM

The logging may have beenclose to one of their bedding areas. I would assume the deer have not gone far. Once the area calms down they will probably return. I've seen lots of deer sharing areas w/cows. The change of scenery is probably why the bucks are not being seen. I'll bet the two big bucks have a routine that requires that they still use the same feeding routes. Probably using them in the dark.Try using a trail camplaced within the feeding routes if possible. Good Luck!!

intimidator 11-03-2005 07:45 PM

Don't give up on this jackpot, It's hard but be patient. Those deer did not go far. Where you are it's got to be peak rut. The does will come back real soon, and those big boys will follow them anywhere. If they're as big as you say they are, there is no way I would abandon the area.

timbercruiser 11-03-2005 08:00 PM

I've been on logging operations and actually watched deer feed on and around the fresh felled trees. A chain saw operator told me one day he hung his saw up in a tree as he was cutting it down. He walked up the hill to get a skidder to help and when he returned a 8 point was smelling of the running saw. Some reason they don't pay the equipment that much attention.
Sounds like the two good bucks may have gone nocturnal.