Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

smoking cigs

Old 11-02-2005, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: smoking cigs

yeah great idea [:-] The smell makes them think it's probably some of their buddies playing poker and will lure the big boy in.

I'm a scent free fanatic. I don't smoke, but that's not really the issue. Why introduce a foreign smell in the woods if you don't have to? The only thing it could possibly do is be counterproductive so I would say no it's not a good idea.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:30 AM

i agree. im all about the 3 layers of scentlok. all i was trying to say was why certain foreign smells dont spook them like you would think
Old 11-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

I do smoke, while not normally when I hunt. I try to make sure that i have one before I hunt but a fews years ago, I was in a ground blind and couldn't resisit the urge. Within 5 minutes of putting the smoke out, I had two fawns and a small buck all walk within 5 feet of me and never knew that I was there.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:42 AM

I much prefer redman
Old 11-02-2005, 12:13 PM

Yivin, I doubt that smoking is your habit, I'm guessing it is your addiction. There is a difference. While I'm against smoking because of many reasons, the thing I'm most against is the tobacco companies being able to regulate the amount of nicotine in their tobacco products. If they made nicotine free cigarettes (they can and have done it) and you smoked those, and only those it would be a habit. But since they don't sell nicotine free cigarettes what you have is a good old fashioned addiction.
It's not really up to you to decide if Yivin is experiencing a compulsive psychological need for the nicotine or if it's just a regular garden-variety need. You know, not everyone has the same level of tolerance.

We know you don't like to smoke. Thanks. Try to be less sanctimonious about it though.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:36 PM

My father in law smokes while he hunts and kills a lot of deer. I havnt seen any signs that it bothers them.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:24 AM

It don't bother me about what they say. Its just something that I do. To each his own... Yeah it is an addiction but what the heck..least it isn't crack,heroin or alcohol that I bring in the woods.That could be real problem to other hunters. Everyone would have to keep there heads down...lol ....people would start seeing things that aint there...lol
Old 11-03-2005, 05:44 AM

Snoking is bad we all know that. While I do smoke, I also smoke in the woods, it has been a heated discussion with me and my dad. He says the smoke will drive the deer away, yet I smoke in the stand and he does not, I see more deer.

My husband dips, so he says they can smell that as well. He also dips in the stand and see mroes deer. Our theory is this. While deer are aware of their surrounding and do not like knew things, we believe that it draws them out to sort of investigate what is going on in their wood. It makes sense. Even as we do. We know that is wround our house and such, but we smell something that is not suppose to be around, we go findo ut what it is.

Now while I do smoke, I also do not live my butts around the ground. Every year I take a new bottle with water in it. When I am done smoking it goes in the bottle. The water puts it out and it stays there. This was I am not littering and not in danger of seeing a forest fire. NOw that we have this thread, I am gonna make another one.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:31 AM

i quit smoking 4 years ago but i do dip when im hunting and i have never had a deer come in acting spookish. i think it has to do with the fact that it is a foreign scent and i wear a 3 layer system of scentlok. we all know deer in general are curious and will come in to investigate new smells in his house. but the way i look at it if you smoke in the woods or not it goes down to responsibility as far as the dangers of smoking in the woods with all the dry leaves. if your responsible in the woods with your firearm or anything else then there should not be any accidents. if your not responsible then you open yourself for accidents.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:36 AM

I am kinda with Handles on this one. . .having never been an addict it is hard to understand but. For a drug to have such a hard grip on me as to make me have to have it all the time would really bug me. . . .kinda like I have lost control of myself.

Sorry. . .I degressed. . .but if Deer learn to associate the smell of tobaco with a hunam shooter then yes they will at some point determine that perhaps they want to wander another direction when they smell a smoker.

Quick Reply: smoking cigs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.