Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

For those with Children

Old 11-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: For those with Children

Elk,
That is awesome how you were able to take your kids out at such a young age. I would have taken mine if I had been hunting back then I can tell you that.
You're right. When I was growing up in NYI would climb every tree i could find. When I moved to FL and had kids there were very few climbable trees in our neighborhood. Mostly palm trees. My daughters have never climbed a tree in their lives hence the reluctancy to get in a tree stand.

Safety wise it's my way or the highway also when it comes to taking kids out hunting with me. In fact, when it comes to adults I do not hunt with anyone that I do not consider a very safe hunter.

Bet you can't wait until the kids can take the elk for themselves
Old 11-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

DannyD I have tons trees here in MT. I would be glade to help you and your kids find some good ones to climb.

I am very lucky that me and the wife hunt/fish togeather. I see a lot of guys that cannot take there kids dew to fights with there wives.

The boy is an asom hunter allready :} He allso traps with me cought many mice last year :} boy he gets a kick out of trapping mice.

I allso do not bend in the safe part of any hunt. I do a lot of bending taking the kids. Spent many days going 400 yards at a time,when I wanted to move miles in the same time.

I will be very glade when the boy can yote hunt.[here in MT you do not need any tags. So no age needed. I have a sawed off 22 bolt with his name on it.

Good yacking with you.
Charles Bradford

I meen it if you ever come to MT I could show you a ton of fun items.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:56 AM

I thouhgt it was afriad of hieghts, but my dad build tree stand and he will climb them in the backyard, just not at the club. Even if my dad is there he will not climb them at the club. He climbed one in the backyard that was alot higher than the one we can both sit in at the club. It is wierd.

Nw I forgot to add, he is 13, with the maturty of a 10 yr old. This is want the Dr told me. He has some learning problems as well. this is one reason why we have not got him a gun. He does not show us he is responsible enouhg tohave a gun yet. We have let him shoto our guns on occassion, but he does nto have his own gun.

He actually prefer a walking hunt. In our area, it is best to hunt from a stand as the brushes are over 6 foot and you will nto see anything unless you up higher than that. or you sit in the middle of the rd and see if one comes into the road.

I am not sure what we are gonna do, we are working on thei isseu. My hsuabd pushes. I do not. I jsut say okay, fine, sit on the ground. I think he may be afriad a deer is gonana attack him.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:56 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: DannyD

Safety wise it's my way or the highway also when it comes to taking kids out hunting with me. In fact, when it comes to adults I do not hunt with anyone that I do not consider a very safe hunter.

10-4,Danny!
Old 11-09-2005, 09:36 AM

Hey i dont have kids... im a kid still myself (19). I grew up hunting in New Mexico with my grandfather and uncles. When hunting with Uncle Dave we would cover up to 10 miles walking in a day (stalking and pushing ridge to ridge). I saw him kill a 31in spread 4x4 and i was hooked! There was no chance to ever use a stand but there were days i sat the ground for a couple hours at a time. It taught me a lot about hunting and about the value of a stand... think about a hunt in a place like NM were there is no time to get board... Unit 2B is a good choice.
My brother never came around to hunting... I did... guess i was lucky
Old 11-09-2005, 10:42 AM

Hey Kim,
I came acrossthese articles on field and stream today, the link is
http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/outdoorskills/article/0,13199,1127117,00.html
It looks like they have some good stuff for the situation you are in. I don't have kids, and am still one myself (only 20), but thought these would be helpful.

AJA
Old 11-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kim398pl

I thouhgt it was afriad of hieghts, but my dad build tree stand and he will climb them in the backyard, just not at the club. Even if my dad is there he will not climb them at the club. He climbed one in the backyard that was alot higher than the one we can both sit in at the club. It is wierd.

Nw I forgot to add, he is 13, with the maturty of a 10 yr old. This is want the Dr told me. He has some learning problems as well. this is one reason why we have not got him a gun. He does not show us he is responsible enouhg tohave a gun yet. We have let him shoto our guns on occassion, but he does nto have his own gun.

He actually prefer a walking hunt. In our area, it is best to hunt from a stand as the brushes are over 6 foot and you will nto see anything unless you up higher than that. or you sit in the middle of the rd and see if one comes into the road.

I am not sure what we are gonna do, we are working on thei isseu. My hsuabd pushes. I do not. I jsut say okay, fine, sit on the ground. I think he may be afriad a deer is gonana attack him.

Kim,
You're on the right track not pushing him. He's not ready so
there's more chance of turning him off hunting than on to it.
There being more to this than originally posted makes a difference.
Your doctor telling you he has the maturity of a 10 yr old and having
a learning disablity should not keep him from being a hunter but it
will take alot more patience from you and your husband. Continue
taking him along but don't try to force him. Not giving him a rifle is
a good idea until he's shown he's completly ready. The advice about
practicing some of these skills (tree climbing and such) at home making
it fun and safe is a good one. Firearms safety training is a must. Just
keep being patient and supportive of him and what he is ready for and
things will work out. Remember, we're not all hunters. Sad but true.

PK
Old 11-09-2005, 02:19 PM

Got a 43 year old baby I hunt with and just last year he bought a stand. He was scared to climb up to 15-20 feet. I told him he does not have to. Just start out at 5 feet above the ground and when you are comfy at that distance go higher. My recommendation would be to have your son in his own stand and let him start off 3-4 feet off the ground and work up from there.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:39 PM

"This is want the Dr told me. He has some learning problems as well."

Hey Kim I am a special education teacher who teaches kids with emotional disabilities and learning disabilities. When a doctor says that, he may mean your son does not learn well from books....not from a verbal exchange or from hands on learning...there is a big difference. My older brother did not learn well from school but can learn things from hands on work. He barely graduated from highschool but now he owns his own landscaping business and is a great worker and employer.....if a doctor ever says that to you again, ask him/her exactly what they mean(if they have any idea)...I would be glad to help you with anything to do with your son and his "learning" issues...I have kids at my school who can barely make it from one class to another without getting in trouble, yet they have 120-130 IQ's...I also have kids who are 6 foot 5 and are 15 years old, yet emotionally act like they are 5 years younger. It is nothing to be ashamed about. Best of luck and if you need any support, let me know.

vashadowhunter