Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

For those with Children

Old 11-08-2005, 07:33 AM

Default RE: For those with Children

There has been a lot of good advice given so far... If he is afraid of heights, then let him hunt from the ground. However, if it is that he doesn't want to kill something, maybe he could spend some time carrying a camera instead of a gun. Its the route I'm trying to take with my 10-year-old daughter. I realize that there is no way I'll get her to hunt with her brothers and me, but I still want her to be able to experience some of the same things, so I'm trying to talk her into coming out with me and we'll just see if we can call in some deer for some good pictures. (Of course, my luck will be that the 30-pointer decides to walk up broadside 25 yards away when we only have cameras...)
Old 11-08-2005, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Kim:

Is it absolutely necessary to hunt from a stand where you do your hunting? I have been deer hunting for three years and have taken three deer, never a one of these deer were taken from a stand. I hunt exclusively from ground blinds because my hunting host doesn't want me to put up any stands (he is concerned it will draw poachers, he says). If possible given the condition of your property, you might just let your son hunt from ground blinds.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ask why? If he's afraid of heights, set a low stand, even in your yard, say 4 feet up. Then slowly move it up as he gets comfortable. Rig up a rope from above the stand hanging down and use a prussic knot from his harness to the rope as he climbs up. This should give him some security for fear of falling.

Climb up one step behind him. I did this with my 13 year old this fall to get him up his first one, also to help hook into the harness up there. With you one step below, his legs are actually inside you to give him "support"

If all else fails, millions of deer have been shot from the ground, it works!
Old 11-08-2005, 10:46 AM

Simply put... don't force the issue. My daughter went out for the first time this year (she's 6) and she had fun climbing the stand, but she woulda had a TON more fun if I had a blind to take her in so she could read, or play or eat or whatever. Blinds are EXCELLENT tools to start kids hunting young, or even observing young. My nephew went out this year, he's 3, and he ended up falling asleep in a blind, it doesn't limit their ability to move and if they are afraid of heights that solves that lickety split. JUST DON"T FORCE IT! Remember it's okay if they don't turn out just like you, they are individual people with individual fears, wants, desires, etc... and 12 feet in the air feels like 30 feet in the air to someone who isn't so big....
Old 11-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

I do not understand the dont push him deal.You are there parent not a friend. My son is only 5 now.But when he was not quite 4 he wanted very bad to go hunt yotes at night with me.I set the RULES if he did not folow them very close [ he is only 4] HE DID NOT GO.Well gess what he hunts with me any time I will let him [some time the weather is a bit bad for a 5 year old] I do and have made exeptions for him.

I do think BOb H in NH has the deal. But in no way would I let him deside when and where. I think this a big reasion why the good old USA is so messed up. All the moms /dads are saying well when you are ready you can do it.The world is full of HAVE TO DO THINGS. Hunting is one of them. If you want to kill deer/yotes or any thing for that matter you have to do things.Ask my 5 year old son.He will tell you set still and dont talk the deer will come.

Charles Bradford
Old 11-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a fear of heights. Seems to me if he didn't want to kill one, he wouldn't be there to see you do it either.

Have you asked him why he didn't want to hunt out of the stand? Won't he open up to you when he realizes there's no harm in ANY reason why he wouldn't do it, and that you just want to know so you can come up with a solution (e.g. making a ground blind if his fear is heights)?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elkin,
There are many things that we HAVE to do as you say. But hunting is NOT one of them. There are many things that we need to push our kids to do and hunting is NOT one of them.
There are many things that we have to do to hunt, and being in a tree stand is NOT one of them
When my daughter (12 years old last year) asked if she could go hunting I was very excited that she did. She did not and will still not go up in a stand. Yet.
I bought a ground blind and she , and I, were very happy to sit in it, quietly talk, allow her to sleep a bit when she needed to, be very comfortable etc. That afternoon she shot a doe. She's hooked. If I had made her sit in a tree stand she might have not enjoyed herself, asked to get out earlier, not been there long enough to see the deer and we may have lost a hunter.
Most likely, as she gets a little older, she'll get in a stand but for now i'm very much enjoying the time on the ground hunting with her

Old 11-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scrider,
BTW, I thought your post was excellent. This is the attitude I have taken with my daughter and I now hope to have a hunting buddy for life.

Some others feel that you should be a parent not a friend and have a do as I say attitude with this. I agree when we are talking about hunting safety at this age. But when it comes to the hunting experience itself I disagree. It is an experience to be shared. It’s not always about MY way of hunting. Sometimes I like letting her decide on location, hunting method etc. She explains her reasoning based on what we have read , seen and learned together. Can you imagine how excited we will be when she makes those decisions and produces? WOW
Old 11-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Dominant Buck

I also am petrified of heights. I'm not joking. Is the stand a climber or one built into the tree ? Anyway I would have him climb small. Maybe a 6 foot stand and then gradually go higher. I'm up to about 11 foot. It's a serious thing and you will gradually need to build his confidence.
Chuck7
Old 11-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

I gess the main difrance is I took my son when he was not ever 3 years old. Packed his but 3 to 7 miles elk hunting on my back.He now at just 10 days over 5 years old will wall[or crall] t5ill I say stop.You can say I am very harsh. He can allso call elk for me and hunting buddys with a read call. Heck most nem cant do that.He will allso put in his imfo on what we should do. I ask for this most every time hunting with him.I am lucky I am a stay at home dad. With my kids every day.

At 12 and 13 years old I will never have to tell my kids to climb a stand they will have done it many years befor that old.People do not push there kids as much as I think they should be.Out of the ton of people I know with kids here in MT non of them take there kids till they are well over 10.Funny how my boy at age 5 has been with me on 4 elk kills. And most peoples kids only get to see them dead in the truck at that age.All the elk where bow killed.My son dose not go rifle hunting [exept yotes] As I do not do much rifle hunting.

My little girl is not even 2 yet but we [wife and I] have taken her and my boy hunting many times allready.

Dose any one ever climb trees with there kids any more.Just for fun.I do this all the time with mine.Maby take them to the park on the gyms.They are not much difrant than a tree stand.

I say push your kids they will get better than you are.

And what I ment for my kids There are things you have to do if you are going to go hunting with me. I have taken many many kids that where not mine nore where they related. Not one of them had a proble folowing the rules. If they did not DO AS I TOLD THEM. They would stay home the next time. So far I have never had to do this 2 times.Funny how a kid will do all they can get away with.And do every thing they are told to do.If there is some bad ending if they do not.No bad endding they do what they want :}

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.