Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 LEADING A RUNNING DEER....POLL >

LEADING A RUNNING DEER....POLL

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
1 - 2 feet
39.39%
2 - 4 feet
27.27%
1 body length
18.18%
1 - 1 1/2 body lengths
3.03%
1 1/2 - 2 body lengths
6.06%
2 - 2 1/2 body lengths
3.03%
2 1/2 - 3 body lengths
3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LEADING A RUNNING DEER....POLL

Old 11-01-2005, 03:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: LEADING A RUNNING DEER....POLL

With a slug gun or any equip. at that distance....I would NEVER take that shot. Way to risky in my opinion...don't care how huge a doe or how huge a rack the deer had.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:02 AM

I would never take this shot. I just don't think it is an ethical shot. YOu have to take in account wind direction and speed, is the deer running up hill downhill and just all kinds of things. I have shot deer from this distance, but they were not running. Not a good idea.

Kim
Old 11-01-2005, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have only slug hunted one time and would have never attempted a shot of that distance and on the run. During my deer season I hunt with dogs and we have to use buckshot. I have killed many deer on the run and feel comfortable shooting at a running deer if it is in range!! I do try if the deer is not at a fast run to try and stop it by giving a grunt sound or a wistle. My biggest deer to date was right at the distanse that I was not going to shoot at him unless I got him to stop, and he did.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I saw an article in (I think) Outdoor Life about shooting at running deer. The lead at a running deer at the distance of 100 - 125 yards is more than a foot or two, I voted 2-1/2 bodies. Although, I don't shoot at running deer.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

I saw an article in (I think) Outdoor Life about shooting at running deer. The lead at a running deer at the distance of 100 - 125 yards is more than a foot or two, I voted 2-1/2 bodies. Although, I don't shoot at running deer.
The lead required varies dramatically with the cartridge used andhow you swing the gun.Obviously it takes much less lead using a cartridge with a muzzle velocity of3500fps(my 7mmstw)than it does with a cartridge producing only 2200fps(30-30win).
Old 11-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

This is a terrible question you should never shoot at a deer with a shot gun on the run Yet at over 50 yards. You have a much better chance of stopping the deer and then shooting.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:56 AM

The slugs I use are comparabe to a lot of higher powered rifles, and have far more 100 yard energy then most of them. Muzzle speed on the hand packed sabotslugs are approx 2350 fps, 1 1/8 oz (over 400 grain)hollow pointslug, producing approx 2000 lbs of energy, at 100 yards. Even a hit in the hind quarter would be devastating to any deer under 300 lbs. With these hand loads, I have never had a deer walk away (and surprisingly get very little meat damage). I feel that the ammo that I am using (and pattern at about 4 1/2" - 5" at 150 yards) is more than capable of the shot, just curious as to the lead range...not opinions that are unfounded as to weather or not you feel that I am doing thing ethically...I AM, ALWAYS HAVE, AND ALWAYS WILL hunt ethically, and would never take a shot that I dont feel confidant in....thus this poll.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Muzzle speed on the hand packed sabotslugs are approx 2350 fps,
Which is about the same as a 30-30.However your slug is probably losing velocity at a much quicker rate.The velocityused to judge the lead andplace the shot is much more of a concern to me than the energy.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:01 PM

Agreed 100% that velocity is lost quicker, which is why i think that a shot at more than 125 yards would not be appropiate. Wasnt trying to start 'the great debate', and I am not aiming that at anyone particular, but was just looking for someone with experiance with this shots' opinion. Was just stating that the ammo that I am using is capable of the shot, and me asthe shooter am capable of the shot (not a marksman, but I consider my self a pretty good shot, that ocassionally makes the same mistakes any hunter does, like flinch, or getting the fever).
Old 11-04-2005, 12:03 PM

Educated guessing, and calculations tell me that the slug is traveling at 1500 fps, give or take 50 fps, at 100 yards, being conservative.

Quick Reply: LEADING A RUNNING DEER....POLL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.