Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Just something that could save you lots of $$$$$$$ >

Just something that could save you lots of $$$$$$$

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Just something that could save you lots of $$$$$$$

Old 10-30-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Just something that could save you lots of $$$$$$$

I have recently switched from all the name brand hunting hygeine products to just regular unscented stuff and I have saved a ton of cash and in the process have seen more deer......try this experiment......go get a bottle of Purex Unscented Liquid Laundry Detergent.....smell it and then right after that...smell Scent Killer brand or HS Scents...whatever you have....I think youll be amazed at the difference. This not only applies to detergents, but also Deordorant......I use Mitchum Brand unscented solid NO SMELL AT ALL!! Once again try the same test...you will be amazed......also just good ol regular corn starch powder on in your boots and groin area....I also like it in my hair heavily....again....NO SMELL....and you guessed it.....try the smell of the other Scent Killer powders....or whatever brand for hunters. NO COMPARISON.....I don't get it but it works. Believe it or dont....you can even get just plain old baking soda toothpaste with no mint smell for your breath. Of course............scentless body wash or soap....once again...NO COMPARISON....basically the household brands win the smell test HANDS DOWN in EVERY case! This has saved me a ton of $$$$$ and I have been seeing more deer.....try storing your clothes in rubbermaid bins with baking soda sprinkled in your clothes.....use whatever cover scents available to you in the location you are hunting....cut down pine and cedar limbs break them up good....twist them etc to get the smell working then store them with your clothes...good idea to freshen them up as soon as possible. No better cover scent the the REAL surroundings. So that saves you money too!!!!!!

Happy Hunting,

Scent Lok
Old 10-30-2005, 06:51 PM

Default RE: Just something that could save you lots of $$$$$$$

Hey Scent LOK, thanks for the tip. Every year when I buy that stuff I wonder if I'm wasting my money. I'm going to give this a try.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

It won't save me anything because I don't buy special soaps,deodorants or scentlock clothes.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:05 PM

I use no name stuff too

Old 10-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't buy any of the so called scent eliminators, just hunt the wind.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:07 PM

Thanks for the tips! The only thing i really ever do is store my hunting clothes in a garbage back with baking soda in there overnight before my hunts...

I need to be more careful and i'll prolly kill more deer.

Jake
Old 10-30-2005, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ivory soap - no deoderant - wash all clothes in baking soda. Put in trash bag with 3-4 cedar branches.3-4 bags of apples to crush on boot soles. About $5 for a 4 month season.$20+ - if you throw in the apples. El-Cheapo
Old 10-31-2005, 12:58 AM
Typical Buck

i've been doing the deodorant thing since i started huntin'...the others just don't do it for me.
thanks for the tips...i'll start doing the same.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:08 AM

two more things to keep in mind.....do not store your clothes in a garbage bag....have you ever smelled one of these? Very strong smell! The other thing is to try to find a scentless bodywash that contains Triclosan. Triclosan is an anti-microbial which fights new bacteria growth all day therefore keeping you relatively scent free on hunts. I'm glad you guys are getting some use out of my rambling :O)

Happy Hunting,

Scent LOK
Old 10-31-2005, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea - Kit trash bags are a No No.I put clothes and boots in black Construction grade bags and leave in back of truck bed. No smell

That little trick with the cedar thrown in makes a huge differance in the field.Try the apple trick on boots and watch the deer and every other critter follow your boot tracks to stand!!

BTW - Another tip.I carry when I can remember, a bottle of rubbing alcohol.Wipe your neck,face,hands etc. Will clean any persperation(sp) or offensive scent from skin. I always carry "scent free" baby wipes in the round plastic container(cheap ones for $1.25 + -) for same purpose.Pour some alcohol in with wipes.Also great for clean up after field dressing deer.

Quick Reply: Just something that could save you lots of $$$$$$$

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.