Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where do you tag your deer?

Old 10-30-2005, 01:57 PM
Spike

Default Where do you tag your deer?

Where and howdo you guys tag your deer carcass, if you plan to take the head to be mounted and youremove it before it goes to a processor? In Texas, the tag goes with the carcass, and I was thinking about how to put it on securely and not damage it if you drag the deer. To be honest, I have always attached it to the antlers, and have not alwaysbeen in compliance, but I want to change that. I have only been hunting a few years, hence my ignorance. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Where do you tag your deer?

I use a plastic electrical tie amd put it around the base of one ear.Tight enough to stay on ,but not cut it.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

here in Mo. the regulations show placing the transportation tag around the tendon on the rear leg, however I put it around the bone in the same spot instead, and never had problemsat a check in station. I have heard stories about hunters here getting fines because the tag was aground the tendon like it shows in the regs. We now have tele-check, so I imagine that some of those fines will no longer be issued, because of the on-line, and phone check ins. I would check your states regs. There may be a required location for you to put it.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I stick it in the ear and close it uptight with a rubber band. A good rubber band, not those little hair tie ones.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always put the tag near the base of the antlers, wrapped with plastic cable ties.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

I always put the tag near the base of the antlers, wrapped with plastic cable ties.
Thats exactly what i do.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Never used a tag. They just say kill'em.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:32 PM

Michigan tags are (or used to be) sticky on the back I believe (or is that Illinois?) but the sticky ones we put on the leg of a doe and on the base of a buck's antlers. For non-stick tags, lol, just whole punch it and tie it with string.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:12 AM
Typical Buck

we don't have a "tag" system here...on public land if you get a deer they'll tag the leg at the check in station but we don't need one for the head if we choose to get it mounted.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tag my deer on the hind leg with an electric tie.

Quick Reply: Where do you tag your deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.