Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
BALLISTIC TIPS
32.69%
CORELOCK
67.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

BALISTIC TIP OR CORELOKT

Old 10-31-2005, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BALISTIC TIP OR CORELOCK

gimme a box of corelokts and ill go groundhog hunting.....about the only thing i see fit with them.......i know 350398059334534 deer died a death due to corelokts since they been out.......but i myself will never launch another one at a deer again......i think i was shooting the 165gr psp's in my 06.....i hit 2 does with them and lost them.......first one there was a TINY blood trail.......that was IT.....followed it till it ran out.......then dad and i were on hands an knees for 4 hours........never saw it or another speck......and dad is a pretty dang good tracker......ive seen him work some magic........the other one had a little hair and a drop of blood.......i honestly think they exploded on impact of the deer.....(boiler room behind the shoulder right in the center of the lungs is where they should have hit...) yes i know misses and other things happen.....but i still dont buy it.........and either way......you hit a deer somewhere other then the lungs at 30yds with a bullet that stays together and i bet you got blood to trail......i like max damage........with over 1million deer hunters in the state i kinda like my deer to drop or run a short distance with max blood to follow so i can find it in seconds.........i dont need someone seeing my deer run and shoot it...or run and fall over and they steal it.......or me be tracking it and just loose it or whatever......dad always used federal nosler ballistic tips and i watched him drop a good handful of deer right stone cold dead........most of the deer ive shot dropped stone cold dead....ive shot BTSP and BTHPs from sierra game kings.....and last year i killed 3 with winchester SP powerpoints.......i really liked the power points.....all of these were 165 gr except the HPs that were 165 or 168 i cant remember.......2 other deer i killed were with a 308 federal 168gr BTHP sierra match king....and a 180gr RD nose corelokt.......shot a button buck at point blank range my second year.........my god that hole was HUGGGGGGGGGGGE...i put my hand in it no joke.....entrance hole was overly large as well.....that deer still made it about 150yds.......dont ask me how......it had no heart, lungs and one front leg......but it did......ran/rolled down the mountain 50yds..ran straight into a boulder......fell down and got back up.....ran and felldown some more....then ran full speedsmack into a boulder and collapsed.....super deer????i didnt have to gut the diaphram........most of it FELL OUT THE EXIT!!! this year im shooting 168gr winchester supreme ballistic tips......and i probably wont look back.......i just dont know why corelokts didntwork for me........maybe i got a super rifle(actually i do...mauser 98k!! lol) but i dont know........seems every other bullet under the sun works good for me.......and most of them ive shoot a couple deer with before switching.....really never had a reason to switch...but i do when i run out from time to time.......i was impressed with winchester power points for 11 bucks a box.......3 deer last yearwith it........i put one 75% through a buck.....i was facing/ quartering me.......pretty hard angle.....and i was above in on a hillside......soi put it in inbetween the shoulders high in the body(neck) and sent it throughthe boiler room and i think it came out a few inches between theopposite hind quarter....i didnt skin it so i dont know for sure......the bullet wasnt in the deer........and thats where it looked like a perfectly mushroomed bullet came outof.....good luck........theres alot of good bullets out there.....alot of guys dont like BT.....but they usually are the guys that dont shootthem.....they just know what ballistic tip means and they think they are exploding on impact bullets......ill see how i like them this season...good luck........shoot straight and put it where it counts and you should beable to hit them with most any bullet out there and kill them.......
Old 10-31-2005, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

I think this poll has no use for the creator. The ONLY answer is to buy both, shoot them from that .270 and see which one performs the best with the gun and your shooting style/ability.

This poll only adds to the myth that one load is better than all-across the board in different guns. The simple fact is that is not true.

Find out for yourself. You'll be happier knowing you have the best ammo in your gun when you go to take down game.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:20 AM

Where I hunt in MN, it's very heavy wooded, with very few shots over 75-100 yards. For that reason, I don't shoot BT's. The shoot very well out of my rifle, but I won't use them until I get to more open terrain. I used Core-lokts in the past and had no negative experience with them. If I'm in the thicks woods, I'll shoot either the Sierra GameKings or the Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. Just my .02
Old 10-31-2005, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

......i think i was shooting the 165gr psp's in my 06.....i hit 2 does with them and lost them
i just dont know why corelokts didntwork for me........
You are blaming the bullet because you lost two deer.This is a very common practise,and the reason for most complaints about bullets.Since the deer weren't recovered,youhave no proof ofwhere the bullets actually struck the deer.The simple truth is that in almost every case like thisthe deer was lost because of poor bullet placement.However it is easier to blame the bullet than admit that your shooting was the realreason for losing the animals.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BALISTIC TIP OR CORELOKT

I shoot the combined technology ballistic tips out of my 243 for deer, and have had nothing but great luck with them. I shoot the Hornady SSTs out of my 7mm on deer, and have had nothing but great luck with them, so they would definately be worth looking into also. I loaded up some 140gr AccuBonds last nite, and once I get a chance to shoot some paper I'll let ya know how they shoot.

Personally, if it was me making the choice between core lokts and ballistic tips for a Canada hunt, I'd opt for the Ballistic Tips.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

DD, if you use the Ulta-Bonded you will have no problem!

3 CLICK HERE!

HIGH WEIGHT RETENTION
Another advantage of the bonding process, Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded retains up to 95% of its weight on-game. Because it resists fragmentation and separation, the bullet retains its mass and, therefore, effectively transfers its energy. This provides superior knockdown power.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Core Lokt is probably one of the most efficient bullets ever manufactured. Outstanding round from factory loads to custom hand loads.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:03 PM

I've always used corlokts, here in north dakota. Never had a pass-through with 130's, but never lost a dear, because of it, now I use 150's all the time, and I try for a lung shot almost all the time, the deardrop pretty quick with the heavier bullet. haven't had to track one yet.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I generally use the corlokt's for initial load development and practice, then switch to either Hornady's SST or Interlok, Nosler Ballistic Tip or accubonds or Sierra Gamekings.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:05 PM

AMEN!
ORIGINAL: Phade

I think this poll has no use for the creator. The ONLY answer is to buy both, shoot them from that .270 and see which one performs the best with the gun and your shooting style/ability.

This poll only adds to the myth that one load is better than all-across the board in different guns. The simple fact is that is not true.

Find out for yourself. You'll be happier knowing you have the best ammo in your gun when you go to take down game.

Quick Reply: BALISTIC TIP OR CORELOKT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.