Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 ABOLT 270   130 OR 140 GRAIN BULLETS >

ABOLT 270 130 OR 140 GRAIN BULLETS

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ABOLT 270 130 OR 140 GRAIN BULLETS

Old 10-27-2005, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ABOLT 270 130 OR 140 GRAIN BULLETS

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Screw them light loads, go with a 165grain Federal Premium. We have been using these for many many many years and have had better luck with tese than with any other bullet on the market.
I'd like to know where you got a 165gr load for a .270? The man is asking about a load for the 270 afterall!!!!

Jmoates I would have liked to seen what happened with 139 BTSP on the same shot? I am guessing you'd get much the same result. On a deer the brisket area is really as tough as it gets and when you consider the velocity it was travelling when reaching the close target I'd think only the true premium solid constructed bullets would hold up to this task. If that would have been a behind the shoulder shot you probably would be singing the praises of the SST right now. Not trying to bust your natts but I am a little tried of theinternet "bullet failure" talk, especiallywhen it comes to deer. It is the hunters responsibilty to know the bullet design and how it is intended to be used. So please try doing some research, then pick the bullet that best encompasses your needs.If you should happen to get a freak chance shot that you never planned for then expect the possibilty of less than desired result. You always have the choice of not pulling the trigger as well!

Old 10-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Screw them light loads, go with a 165grain Federal Premium. We have been using these for many many many years and have had better luck with tese than with any other bullet on the market.
I'd like to know where you got a 165gr load for a .270? The man is asking about a load for the 270 afterall!!!!

Jmoates I would have liked to seen what happened with 139 BTSP on the same shot? I am guessing you'd get much the same result. On a deer the brisket area is really as tough as it gets and when you consider the velocity it was travelling when reaching the close target I'd think only the true premium solid constructed bullets would hold up to this task. If that would have been a behind the shoulder shot you probably would be singing the praises of the SST right now. Not trying to bust your natts but I am a little tried of theinternet "bullet failure" talk, especiallywhen it comes to deer. It is the hunters responsibilty to know the bullet design and how it is intended to be used. So please try doing some research, then pick the bullet that best encompasses your needs.If you should happen to get a freak chance shot that you never planned for then expect the possibilty of less than desired result. You always have the choice of not pulling the trigger as well!

I was wondering how the 165gr load came into the picture myself.As for the rest of your post,very well said.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:12 PM

i will be using the winchester accubonds this fall and was wondering if any of u guys have had experince with these. And I was wondering if the tip on them would throw the bullet off real if it hit at twig? And i totally agree to shy away from the balistic tip
Old 10-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Another vote for a bonded bullet over the ballistic tips. I like the Hornady 140 gr. BTSP. I've seen too many deer lost with the ballistic tips.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

i will be using the winchester accubonds this fall and was wondering if any of u guys have had experince with these. And I was wondering if the tip on them would throw the bullet off real if it hit at twig?
Accubonds will do a nice job for you, don't expect Nosler Partition holes or performancethough! The retention is in that same 60% ballpark but the diameter of expansion is higher and thus penetration is not as deep. IME it is between the BT and the NP (around that 1 1/2 - 2" exit range if you don't connect with substantial bone). This won't cause any problems on a whitetail though. Personally only used the AB last season on elk and moose, worked fine but they were both rib shots only.

As to your comment about the tip throwing off the bullet if it hits a twig? All bullets are suspect to this, so no more so than any other bullet. There is no such thing as a bush bullet, so if the lane is obstructed no guarantee you'll get through or hit where you intended too.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Jmoates

I have an A-Bolt stainless stalker in 7mm rem mag.I agree that the ballistic tip is not the best bullet choice. For the past couple of years I have shot Hornady 139gr BTSP at whitetail and they were devastating. This year I triedthe Hornady SST. This past weekend I shot a buck at about 50 yds head on.The SSTresults were awful. I found metal throughout the deer. I would definitely try something besides a ballistic tip.
i shot the SST for one season, i took 3 or 4 deer with it, but i heavily disliked it. save it for something like coyotes(they make a varmint bullet anyway) or antelope. i've got a lot blown up SST's from extracting them from my targets. same from when im able to recover them in deer. the bullet didn't hold together well at all.The Hornady Interbond and Nosler Accubond are a huge improvement from the Ballistic tip and SST. i've killed about 10 deer with an interbond, it blows through shoulders like it aint no thang. leaves awesome blood trails. couldn't ask for a better bullet myself.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:43 AM

I use to shoot the 130gr. Winchester BT's, but I changed b/c of the amount of damage they were doing to the meat.

I am using the 140gr. ACCUBOND's this year, but haven't had a chance to try them on a deer yet.

Look in this months field and stream...they have a VERY GOOD article on bullets. They said the accubond gives all the benefits of a ballistic tip, w/o the negative stuff.

They tested just about every popular bullet and show you the results.

If i can remember right, they concluded that the Winchester Fail Safe and Barnes Tripple shock wereabout the best.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Ballistic tips made these days are about as good as it gets for deer. I have used them in every caliber from 25 to 30 and they performed just like they are supposed to. The open easy even at long range but at least 90 percent of the time they exit. I can ask no more of a bullet.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

There is no magic caliber, and no magic bullet. But if there were I would be inclined to nominate the .270 caliber and the 130 grain bullet for the honors. Perhaps no other caliber has compiled, with a single bullet weight, such an outstanding record on such a variety of animals at all ranges. The key to the success of all four of the principal .270 calibers is a blend of flat trajectory coupled with versatility and manageable recoil that is pretty hard to match, let alone beat.
DAYum Reb I AM IMPRESSED ...YOU GO BOY !!

Roll Tide
DD

Old 10-28-2005, 09:42 PM

that field and stream article by david petzal was very well written and researched. Barnes Triple Shock, Winchester Fail Safe,and Hornady Interbond were supposed to be the 3 best bullets he tested. My pops and I were looking for some .280 rounds for his deer rifle, and the Fail Safe's in .280 were $27.99. The fail safe is really too much for deer, almost overkill. One of the best constructed bullets on the market, but it's almost too heavy duty for a whitetail.

With proper bullet placement, the SST and Ballistic tip work wonders. they can expand at range. however, at close range, they can blow up on bone. During your average deer hunt, there are many factors that could cause your aim to be off a little. Even if you always put it in the ribs, there could be that one time a twig moves your bullet off course or you just get excited and aim too far forward. That's why with well constructed bullets you won't have a problem. Most well constructed 130 grain .270 Win bullets will go right through shoulder bone. Interbond's and Accubonds are pretty much the best bullets on the market right now for deer; they offer the low drag of the polymer tip with the strong construction of a bonded bullet. doesn't get any better.

One question for you all:I've shot Remington Core Lokt's from a .270, .280, and .30-06 into targets where i can recover the bullets, and more often than not, the jacket seperates from the core. Anyone else noticed this? i gutted out a deer for my uncle that had a clean through and through wound, but i found the jacket of the bullet inside the deer.i thought it was odd..

Quick Reply: ABOLT 270 130 OR 140 GRAIN BULLETS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.