HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Locking Your Stand (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/118292-locking-your-stand.html)

Criggster 10-25-2005 06:52 PM

Locking Your Stand

What do you use to secure your stand so it will be there when you return? I am planning to hang my stand in a national forest. I usually hunt on private land, and don't have to worry about someone stealing the stand.I thought about using a bike cablewith a lock. Any suggestions?

JimboHunter1 10-25-2005 07:00 PM

RE: Locking Your Stand

I would recommend buying a good climbing stand if you're gonna be hunting on public ground. That way, you can take it with you when you're done hunting and you can relocate easily if somebody's hunting too close to your stand. They're not cheap, but it's better than getting a stand stolen and running the possibility of a ruined hunt.

Criggster 10-25-2005 07:29 PM

I don't want to have to pack that much weight as far in as I hunt every day. And, some days I will only get to hunt a few hours. I'll stick with the stands I already own.

timbercruiser 10-25-2005 10:07 PM

Get enough 3/8" (or bigger) HARDENED chain and use a large lock if you want to have any chance of your stand being there when you return. Locking the chain under the stand, harder to get to with a bolt cutter will help. Make sure the chain is hardened steel.

DannyD 10-26-2005 06:35 AM

also, check the regs where you hunt. Some WMA's and state, national forests do not allow prem stands or any stand left over night

nchawkeye 10-26-2005 07:40 AM

Use a climber...even if you have to hide it under a brush pile in the area you plan to hunt....or learn to hunt on the ground...I left a Baby Grand locked to a tree about 10 years ago in the Uwharrie National Forest, here in NC...it was gone when I went back to hunt a couple of days later...thieves hunt too...but, I learned my lesson...I now own 3 climbers....I either pack them in or have them hidden in the woods.

Rebel Hog 10-26-2005 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Get enough 3/8" (or bigger) HARDENED chain and use a large lock if you want to have any chance of your stand being there when you return. Locking the chain under the stand, harder to get to with a bolt cutter will help. Make sure the chain is hardened steel.
Also use a Harden Shackle Padlock and not the ones with case harden shackles!

catchamind 10-26-2005 02:59 PM

I had a stand stolen from me a few years ago. Whoever stole it, cut the cable that I had securing it around the tree.

To top it all off, it was on private property!

The only SAFE way to leave your stand is not leave it in the first place. If you are going to be hunting in a stand on public land, either build one (if it's legal in your state to do so), or use a climber.

You can't trust anyone these days.

catchamind 10-26-2005 02:59 PM

I had a stand stolen from me a few years ago. Whoever stole it, cut the cable that I had securing it around the tree.

To top it all off, it was on private property!

The only SAFE way to leave your stand is not leave it in the first place. If you are going to be hunting in a stand on public land, either build one (if it's legal in your state to do so), or use a climber.

You can't trust anyone these days.

Criggster 10-26-2005 06:04 PM

Well, I hung my stand today, and used a 3/16" chain and a masterlock. It is fairly well hidden from view until the leaves fall. I haven't seen any sign of anyone being in the area, so hopefully it will stay in the tree.

timbercruiser 10-26-2005 08:05 PM

If you didn't use 3/8" hardened chain you may have wasted your money and will only keep the honest people away.. I've seen men stand on 4' bolt cutters on that stuff and have a hard time cutting it.