Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunting on private land question AR15 >

Hunting on private land question AR15

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting on private land question AR15

Old 10-24-2005, 10:21 PM

Default Hunting on private land question AR15

My friends grandparents own 70 some acres in PA, (were from ohio) Can I shoot the deer with what ever I want even if its bow season etc. I only have one rifle and its a Bushmaster 14.5 inch barrel with an attached ak muzzle break ("post-ban"). Can this rifle take down a dear humanley? The only ammo I have for the gun are 5.56 XM193, is there a round made more for deer? Sorry for the Newb ??s Thanks in advance..
Old 10-24-2005, 10:59 PM

Default RE: Hunting on private land question AR15

If it's bow season, that means you can only hunt with a bow, regardless of the fact that it's private land. I'm assuming you're new to hunting altogether? If so, you should (and in most states HAVE to) take a firearm/hunter's safety course. Concerning you rifle, I'm not familiar with it, so wait for someone else's response, but my first reaction is that the barrel doesn't sound nearly long enough.Again, someone else will chime in.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:18 PM

the .223 is able to kill deer but keep your shots short. your short barrel will cut down a little on the velocity, but .223's don't need a really long barrel to acheive their maximum velocity, so it's not that big of a deal. there are some ammo companies that make dedicated deer bullets for the cartridge, so try and find those (not sure which someone else might)
Old 10-24-2005, 11:45 PM

Federal makes a 55 grain trophy bonded round. If I had to use the .223 for deer that would be my choice.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:01 AM

Well if it's bow season you cannot use a rifle. Plus you will need to check the local regs to see what rifles can be used and in what season. Many have a minimum caliber or do not allow that type of weapon. Not to mention you will need a tag for that state. If you live out of state that usually = expensive.

I will see what I can find on PA hunting regs, but it may depend on what county it is in. I would check with the DNR for that area before you do it.

Paul
Old 10-25-2005, 12:11 AM

I was going to copy and paste what is says on the PA website, but for some reason I cannot copy and paste on this site anymore?[:@].

At any rate it says semi autos are not legal, so no you cannot use your AR in PA. there are also special non rifle areas like we have in MI.

Here is a link to the website. And for some reason the links don't work the same anymore either. I can post a link, but not give it name?

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=465&q=151336

Paul
Old 10-25-2005, 12:34 AM

Thanks Paul, thats the info I was looking for.. I just dont understand it. Im on private land we might as well say my land, why cant I hunt for my food any way I see fit..
Old 10-25-2005, 02:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

NoNO
Old 10-25-2005, 08:14 AM

Definitely sign up for a hunter's education class ASAP.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:39 AM

Hunter's ed is a good thing. I know a lot of responsible law abiding hunters even take the course once every 10 years or so as a good refreshers even though though they are already "expert hunters"

Personally I would never use an AR type rifle to shoot deer with. I would personally feel a little bit goofy climbing into a tree with that kind of gun.

Quick Reply: Hunting on private land question AR15

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.