HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Question for Ohio hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/1174-question-ohio-hunters.html)

WV Hunter 01-10-2002 07:12 AM

Question for Ohio hunters

A friend of mine lives near Hilliard, west of Columbus. I was thinking of going to visit him maybe next year and was wondering how the hunting is in that general area. He is not a hunter, so asking him didn't really work. I figured if it's worth it maybe I'll try and fit in a hunting trip while I'm there. Also is there any public ground in that area? Thanks.

redneck big buck 01-10-2002 03:02 PM

RE: Question for Ohio hunters

I hunt in Harrison County so i can't help ya but i would consider posting it in the regional forum.

LIFE IS SHORT, HUNT HARD

Bozman 01-10-2002 05:02 PM

WV Hunter-I live up nothern Ohio along Lake Erie and the hunting is good here. And I have hunted throughout Ohio and generally the hunting is good throughout the state. We grow some big bucks here. By the way I have hunted in WVA before also. I have relatives in the Clarksburg and Simpson area. Good luck to ya in bagging a Buckeye Buck!

RN,HNTR 01-10-2002 10:23 PM

I recently moved from W.V. to KY. but can throw a rock to Ohio. I hunt in Ohio only and for a good reason. Compared to W.V., no comparison. I have seen bigger bucks in one year than I have my whole 25 years of hunting in W.V. One buck limit and no rifles equal bigger bucks. I say do it.

WV Hunter 01-11-2002 11:15 AM

Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully someone who lives around that area can give me a little input. If I did decide to do it, I'd have to get my ducks in a row and have some areas picked out ahead of time to make it worthwhile.

teamster284 01-12-2002 06:49 PM

i live real close to hilliard. the deer are plenty west of there. also there are some public lands near there too. (big darby metro park on franklin county /madison county line.) alot of farms just west and maybe if you ask you might be able to hunt them. no one does. in franklin county you can bag 5 deer they call it an urban deer zone. deer creek state park is in madison county not too far about 45 min from there and also alum creek in delaware county about 1/2 hour from hilliard. all farm land and real big body deer in any of these public lands. your friend should know all of these places i have mentioned if not get an odnr hunting guide (free) where you get license and look them up. they are in there.

WV Hunter 01-14-2002 11:04 AM

Teamster, thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into it. It sounds good. I know Ohio has some big bucks...who knows, I might get lucky:) Did you do any good there this year? A buddy of mine from WV that hunts eastern Ohio got a 160 class with a muzzleloader on his first trip there. Nice.