HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   They're eatin my camera! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/117160-theyre-eatin-my-camera.html)

Schobs 10-17-2005 07:23 PM

They're eatin my camera!

I have a stealth cam MG2, and i havent had ne problems w/ it, except for the fact that bears seem to be quite partial to the taste of cheap plastic and led screens. In the 3 yrs i have had it, it'shad 2 close encounters w/ bears. Both times i got a real close up pic w/ only half of the bears face. I was wondering... is it some scent on the camera or r they just not very photogenic? Has anyone else had this problem? I was thinkin of sprayin some scent killer on the thing after i put it up to prevent it from getting mauled again.Any thoughts?

PS i HAD a bucket of bait that ikept out by my stand so i could put out a lil bit every time i go out. It was a 5 gallon bucket w/ a mix of corn and bird food. Neway, i found it last wknd about 10 yrds from where i keep it, and a bear had bit clean through the side of the bucket trying to get at the food inside!

tj_cubin 10-17-2005 08:06 PM

RE: They're eatin my camera!

i heard someone on here say that spraying it with "OFF" will work. They said the smell washes off, but the taste will stay

m.t.hands 10-17-2005 08:18 PM

try smearin some peanut butter on it, they ought to eat that for sure, or spray the bear with some lead[:-]j/k welcome to the forums. we ain't got no bears so i'm not sure how to keep them from messin with a camera, you could use the search function here,i know this has come up a bunch, i think some people even believe the bears are attracted to the smell of film on the film type game cameras, good luck, that could get spensive[:-]

kevin1 10-18-2005 04:44 AM

While wearing rubber gloves , rub a freshly cut habanero pepper on the casing of the camera . The next bear that takes an experimental lick won't try it again . Refresh as needed .

DougMD 10-18-2005 05:43 AM

Make or buy a metal casing for it. I had one made for my camtrakker after it was partially eaten, and if I get a cuddeback (likely), I will get the bear safe metal casing for it too.

_Dan 10-18-2005 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: DougMD

Make or buy a metal casing for it. I had one made for my camtrakker after it was partially eaten, and if I get a cuddeback (likely), I will get the bear safe metal casing for it too.
Ditto. I put out cameras for bear and wouldn't consider not using a cage.

Perrymedic 10-24-2005 11:53 PM

I noticed Ralph had a cage for his camera. Anyone know what brand that was or if he just made it for the camera?

kevster10p 10-26-2005 08:07 PM

yea the same is happening to me the bears are biting it and it moves the camera so i get 20 pics of a bush