Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What is a good shotgun scope to get??? >

What is a good shotgun scope to get???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is a good shotgun scope to get???

Old 10-17-2005, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is a good shotgun scope to get???

I am lucky to have bought when I did, which was before I was married and had kids.

Yes, I will be there on Friday with the smoke pole in area "I." Are you hunting by yourself? I haven't hunted there in the past few years due to work trips to the cabin (young kids at home and can't get away TOO much), but my experience thereis that early muzzleloader is hit or miss. The real fun begins in early/mid November. I am happy to see the 6 or better rule.

I have to get that 4 point safety harness and figured I get my shotgun scope done while at the BassPro or Dick's. Before when I hunted there, they had no such requirement. Do you have one, and if so, the vest or just the belt kind? I don't want to throw a bundle on it, but don't want to be confused in the dark of morning either.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I looked at the shotgun last night. It is not tapped for mounts. It has a metal plate that fits over top of the receiver and is bolted on the sides, and there are rings on the top of the plate holding my small, cheapie tasco deerfield in place.

Can I get a decent scope to mount on that plate too, or will I have to get the gun tapped for mounts? I don't mind springing for new rings, but hope I can take it to BassPro and get a scope on it, instead of taking it there and having them tell me to take it to a gunsmith first to get it tapped, etc.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:37 AM

The problem with that type of receiver mount is that the barrel isn't fixed to the receiver and may move a little which will change your zero. I think if you keep your shots at close range it will be OK. Lots of people use that type of mount. I just wouldn't be trying to throw slugs out to 100+ yards. Does it look like this? If yes, a better scope will fit. I would also spring for some better scope rings.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's it, or I have something very similar. I won't be taking the barrel off at all, so it should be good. Also, I won't shoot at anything more than 60 yards or so.

Thanks!

Did you read my post above the one you responded to?
Old 10-18-2005, 08:37 AM

Heyguys, just a quick question, I have an 11-87, with exchangeable barrels, one of which is rifle barrel with my scope on it (Buschnell Trophy). Is the general thought that whenever this barrel is removed (for cleaning or other reasons) the accuracy of the scope changes significantly? Thanks!

AJA
Old 10-18-2005, 08:52 AM

If the barrel has a cantilever mount then the zero should not change as long as you didn't bump it around too hard. I would still check it at the range if you have swapped barrels. If the shotgun has a receiver mount, then you will definately have to check zero and probably adjust the scope.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:48 AM

Thanks G2, quick clarification, the cantilever scope mount looks like that in the picture above posted by you, or is the cantilever mount one which is mounted directly onto the barllel? Thanks!
Old 10-18-2005, 11:24 AM

The cantilever mount is the one mounted to the barrel which extends over the top of the receiver.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have several Bushnell Banners and have no compliants. Affardable and good quality.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

No banners left. Had to go with the Elite 3200.

Quick Reply: What is a good shotgun scope to get???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.