Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Floor for Stand

Old 10-14-2005, 12:18 PM

Default RE: Floor for Stand

oops it didnt work!
Old 10-16-2005, 09:05 AM

Thanks for all the ideas and replies guys. I had another idea this morning. If i build the platform 5 x 5, I could fit my Doghouse blind on it. In that case, for safety,I'd still build a railing around the platform about 3 foot tall so it would sit just under the shooting windows and portholes.Any thoughts on that or anyone tried that? I'm thinking that if I'm 12 foot off the ground. I could probablyzip the larger windows down without spooking the deer so much and have a better range of view.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

interesting idea. Would definetly save some money and weight, u'd have less to paint and I have grandparents that hunt out of tower blinds that are premade with windows and the deer never notice them opening the windows, which make a lot more racket than I'd be comfortable with. I'd say as long as it's out there plenty early so that the deer get used to it, with the blind on it, u should have no problems.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:40 AM

Thanks krub6b. I was thinking it might not hurt to leave the window (arched shape)on each side zipped down the whole time and eliminate any noise. I'd be sitting mostly and the only real visible part of me would be shoulders up and I use a pretty good camo headcover.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

i sit on a standthat my head is clearly visible in all the time and I've had lots of deer just standing in the field eating and they never notice me. Justmove slow and steady, don't make any unneccesary noises, and if the deer are used to the stand they won't realize there's anyhing different.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: chucker34

Thanks Kevin1. I don't think I have the patience or skill to slope the floor just right so I think I will drill some holes.
All it has to be is about 10 degrees , approximately half a bubble off . It's surprisingly easy , most stands like that aren't completely level when you first set them up anyway , and even a level one will settle slightly unevenly with time and use all by itself. Drainage holes are just insurance . Outdoor rated carpet could just berolled up at the end of the season and stored below the platform .
Old 10-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm glad I found this thread as I am going to be building one myself in the very near future. One thing I am wondering is when you post down to the ground. I am thinking of using 4x4's quickcreted into the ground. Do you think it would be ok to keep these 4x4's straight up or should I go through the trouble and lean them toward the deer stand. (probably 5x5 on the ground and taper up to 4x4 at the top)I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear here but I hope so. I'm thinking that it would be about 12' from ground to floor and about 4'x4'. Any thoughts?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

i think if you quikrete four posts in the ground they can go straight upto the stand. and a 4x4 platform 12' off the ground should work great for one person

Old 10-20-2005, 06:37 PM

Just make sure you bury enough 4x4 in the ground to ensure it secure.
I have never built a wooden stand to 12'. I think build the box and getting the roof built might be interesting.I mean 12' to the floor would put the roof at say 18' if your inside is 6' from floor to roof. need a tall ladder. on steel ones i build i make the roof where it bolts on to the stand . i make attach points for the roof to be bolted prior to raising. much easier.

If i was going to build a wooden tower that height i would sure make it 4x5 it is really nice to have the room and you can have someone sit with you especially a kid.