Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer rubs

Old 10-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default deer rubs

I have a stand by some rubs I sat in the stand most of the morning and most of the afternoon. The day before I sat in the stand most of the afternoon as well. The wind was blowing away from the rubs but I never saw a buck. I try and set up stands where there are deer but I never seem to see them. Is there something wrong i could be doing?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: deer rubs

Rubs aren't always a good indicator that bucks are using the area. Often they are older and some were probably used to shed velvet. The ones along field edges were probably made at night. I would focus on runs between known bedding and feeding areas especially atboth ends of day. Acorn stands also would be a place where I would do some sitting if you are looking for a stand.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

i had the same thing when i started scouting...seen deer tracks all over the place , rubs,scrapes , so i set my stand about 15 yards away from the signs, i scouted several days in a row , but never saw a single deer passing by , i bought a digital trail cam and hung it near the stand and it was definatly showing some nice deer at that spot , except at the wrong times...they alwasy showed up between 11pm and 4 am...yet i stayed at it , and i shot my very first buck on opening day at that spot... and more will come as this is atleast the 3rd different buck i have seen besides the one that i have on camera.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:53 PM

One thing to keep in mind is there are different kinds of rubs. If I were going to hunt rubs, I would hunt a rub that has been used for a few years. Most of the time, these rubs are used by a number of deer.

I am hunting this deer now. I have my stand set up on his rub line, but as stated above, his rub line is from his bedding area to where he is feeding. I had an encounter with him last week, but he was not walking his line. He came in down wind of it. I have my stand set up b/c its b/t his feeding area and bedding area, not b/c his rub line also comes through my area.

As for scrapes, most scrapes are made and never returned to. I have read alot that says that deer may scent check scrapes from a distance.

My advice for you would be to do some more scouting. Try to find where the deer are bedding. I have had 17 deer, all within 30yds of me, in the past two weeks. I found a great bedding area and a good spot that I can get high and the wind seems to favor this spot most of the time.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I often sit 400 hours without seeing a buck. patience young lad
Old 10-12-2005, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Only rubs that I usually hunt near are ones that are made in a staging area. In my experience bucks will just randomly make a rub anywhere they feel like and never come back to that rub again.All a rub tells you is that there was a buck there at one time. Unless your finding a bunch of rubs in one area then that tells ya that he is using that area a lot and if your not seeing him when you hunting him lets say in the evening then try hunt the area in the morning. He might be nocturnal too. In that case your gonna have a hard time ever seeing him then. Good luck
Old 10-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

You aren't confusing rubs and scrapes are you? I would try hunting food access routes or sources instead of rubs.