HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Squirrel call on deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/116266-squirrel-call-deer.html)

max the dog 10-10-2005 08:10 PM

Squirrel call on deer

I was out in the woods this weekend blasting at the tree rats when during a quiet time I saw a couple of doe's who had a feeling somebody was there but didn't see or smell me yet. Now during deer season I usually carry 3 calls; a grunt tube, a rattle bag and a turkey call. If a deer busts me in the woods I usually will make an attempt to calm it by running a peg over slate to give it the impression that I'm a wild turkey. It doesn't always work but has worked enough times for me to bring it in the woods every time. Whene the deer appeared I had none of those calls. What I did have with me was a squirrel call. It's nothing more than a small set of bellows attached to a wooden tube with a reed in the middle. All you do is tap the bellows to make a very convincing squirrel bark. I wasn't deer hunting but I still didn't want to spook the deer too badly so without a better option I used the squirrel call. It worked better than the turkey call. The doe's immediatly calmed down and went about their buisness.
It got me thinking about why it worked so well. Think about it guys, what's the noisiest animal in the woods? In my part of the country it's the ten zillion squirrels that are everywhere. You almost never hear a herd of deer or a flock of turkeys make half the noise a single squirrel makes running across leaves.
Does anyone else use a squirell call during deer season?

gene62 10-10-2005 09:10 PM

RE: Squirrel call on deer

No but I have the bellow call that your talking about but dont use it much I like the distress whistle on squirrels in spring thru early fall it will make them come within 20 yards of you from as far away as 100 yds and usely it's the young one's.

cardeer 10-11-2005 01:39 AM

Interesting

greatwhithunter 10-11-2005 06:13 AM

I might try that.

uncle matt 10-11-2005 07:05 AM

I always thought the deer were pretty well in tune with the squirrels. If a squirrel was aware of you and barked, the deer also knew there was a problem nearby.

But yes, I have heard of covering your butt with the turkey call years ago.

huntinwv 10-11-2005 07:09 AM

Definitely a great thought and makes perfect sense!!! May have to try that. Let us know your findings.

deer-hunter18 10-11-2005 07:17 AM

Sounds good, i will have to give it a try.

webejonesin2 10-11-2005 05:37 PM

never tried before, but have been busted many times by them, will have to keep it in mind.

Champlain Islander 10-11-2005 05:56 PM

I have used the turkey with some results but a squirrel call would work better because they are more wide spread and act as sentries. Thanks I'll give it a try. Crap now I have to buy another call...Oh well. :D

Rebel Hog 10-11-2005 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

I have used the turkey with some results but a squirrel call would work better because they are more wide spread and act as sentries. Thanks I'll give it a try. Crap now I have to buy another call...Oh well. :D

:DYou ever seen a squirrel on a tree trunk look at you and look towards the direction thatthe deer is comming and repeating it over and over?