Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Squirrel call on deer

Old 10-12-2005, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Squirrel call on deer

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

I have used the turkey with some results but a squirrel call would work better because they are more wide spread and act as sentries. Thanks I'll give it a try. Crap now I have to buy another call...Oh well.

You ever seen a squirrel on a tree trunk look at you and look towards the direction thatthe deer is comming and repeating it over and over?
yes I have Rebel and they don't miss a thing. Around here the biggest alarm that a deer is coming is the blue jays. I hunt the large swamps and when the jays start to scream,I watch in the direction and soon deer will appear.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:51 PM

I'm not worried about squirrels giving me away by their barking. Most of the time they seem to be so wrapped up in what they're doing they hardly pay any attention to the guy in camo sitting in a tree for hours. They know you're there but if you don't move they will kind of ignore you.
The only problem I had with the squirrel call was keeping it quiet. It only takes a light tap on the bellows to get it to make noise. I couldn't seem to be able to keep it quiet no matter how slow I walked through the woods. If I walked at a normal pace with it on a lanyard it sounded off with every step. I'll probably fit it with some sort of cap to keep it quiet.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:35 AM

I haven't used a squirrel call, but I have used a turkey diafram call in conjunction with a 3ft long switch when still hunting whitetails in the woods.

Instead of trying to be quiet and still having leaves crunch with every step, I use the switch to rustle the leaves, like a turkey scratching,as I take steps and every now an then cluck & purr quietly with the turkey call.

It is amazing how well this workes as long as you are playing the wind properly. The closest I've ever gotten to deer using this method was about 20 Yds. I was easing down an old road bed, that wascovered with leaves, and the doe happend to be feeding on acorns out of sight behind a good sized briar patch. Just as I started to clear the patch, I spotted her feedingand froze. She gradually fed on down the hill side and out of sight. Never knew I was there.

Deer are accustomed to hearing all the noise made by squirrels and turkeys. It's a lot harder to try to ease down through the woods making no noise at all than it is to simply imulate the rustling leaves sounds, turkey clucks(or squirrel chatter)the deer hear every day. Works for me! Don't know why this wouldn't work with a squirrel call as well, especially if you useda low"chatter" sound instead of a series of barks.

firstshot
-----------------------------
Make your first shot count!