Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting? >

Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting?

Old 10-19-2005, 12:14 PM

Default RE: Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting?

I know in Quebec, in the hunting course we were encouraged to shoot dogs off their leashes! I think that's a little too far fetched though. Some dogs are well trained, if the owner's walking through the woods and throws a ball off in the bush and the dog retreives it, fine. If the ball lands neer a hunter who didn't see it, and the owner is too far away to be seen by the hunter, and that hunter shoots the dog... I don't know what the outcome of that situation would be. I do know the dog must be kept on a leish so the owner would get a fine. As for the hunter...

Recently, Quebec begun allowing hunters to use a dog for retreiving a wounded animal. NOT FOR HUNTING, JUST RETREIVING. I've never been interupted by a dog, but if I did, Quebecers have the right to charge anyone who knowingly interfears or empedes on your hunting ground. Public property or crown land is different. Hunters must make way for anyone doing anything other than hunting. I've never had any problem with either dogs, people, even game wardens. Where I hunt, your lucky if you see a single person in a two week stay. It's nice up here!
Old 10-19-2005, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

You try that in Wi and people end up with missing dogs.

Make a statement like that where I'm from and if you are lucky you will wake up with a few teeth missing.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: briarhead

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

You try that in Wi and people end up with missing dogs.

Make a statement like that where I'm from and if you are lucky you will wake up with a few teeth missing.
So Briarhead: do you really think it's OK to let dogs run loose and harass deer and ruin hunting for legal hunters? Do you agree with the guy who claimed (in the message that wis_bow_huntr was replying to) that loose uncontrolled dogs actually HELP deer hunting? Do you think it's wrong to dispatch a loose uncontrolled dog that's harassing deer or deer hunters?

Where are you from where you'd assault a guy like that?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Briar said:

And what if the dog club does keep their dogs off adjoining properties and these type of complaints still exsist? The "property owners rights" are the "spin" that some hard core still hunters are using to try and run down legitimate,ethical and responsible doghunters
This is exactly the propaganda I mentioned....you are trying to paint the average hunter as a liar, and a poor neighbor. Why would a still hunter make up false complaints about deer-dogging if they were not actually having a problem? Your argument just simply does not make sense.

You seem todismiss the actual fact that hunt clubs are in fact invading private property with their dogs, and instead try to attack the intentions of private land owners who do not wish to have deer-doggers treapassing on their property.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:13 PM

in indiana you cant hunt deer with dogs, you cant even track a wounded deer with a dog. deer are built to run really fast for short distances and dogs arebuilt to run forever at a moderate speed. if i see a dog running deer during bow season im going to take a practice shot, but shooting with a gun will just add to the chaos.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

Briar said:

And what if the dog club does keep their dogs off adjoining properties and these type of complaints still exsist? The "property owners rights" are the "spin" that some hard core still hunters are using to try and run down legitimate,ethical and responsible doghunters
This is exactly the propaganda I mentioned....you are trying to paint the average hunter as a liar, and a poor neighbor. Why would a still hunter make up false complaints about deer-dogging if they were not actually having a problem? Your argument just simply does not make sense.

You seem todismiss the actual fact that hunt clubs are in fact invading private property with their dogs, and instead try to attack the intentions of private land owners who do not wish to have deer-doggers treapassing on their property.
First off, How many well organized dog drives have you ever been on? I am talking from experience here sir. If you think for one minute another hunter will not stab you in the back to obtain another man hunting lease YOU ARE DEAD WRONG! My club leased 5,000 acres and we did not have a dog problem with any neighbors. It was run astight as it gets. The problem we had, we were killing trophy class bucks anda weasley maggot starting complaining to the timber comp.about us tresspassing on his place, which he leased himself. Well the company without any proof other than this sissy constant complaing (no calls to the DNR) or any other written complaints, just his word,non stop whinning. The timber company quit leasing the land period. He tried to lease it and they would not lease it to him either,for which I am thankful. Any way this idiot starts buying hogs and turning them out on his lease for his high priced pay hunters to think they were actually killing a true russian boar hog! Needless to say he got ran off and we still did not get our lease back. It went up for sale. SO DONT GET YOUR NERVE UP AND TELL ME IT CANT HAPPEN! I wish youguyscould come and enjoy a good run hunt,and then formulate an opinion based on facts. I am conducting a survey on many other boards besides this one to see if thisis a problem in other states that allow dog hunting. SC seems to be way behind other states who do allow it.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

So this entire thread has really been based on your own personal vendetaagainst one hunter?

Perhaps you should have stated the facts of the original problem when you started this thread.

It seems to me that your real problem was that the deer-dogging club NEVER OWNED ITS OWN land in the first place. Your problem really comes down to the fact that even after years of leasing your property your leaseholder didn't trust your club. I won't speculate on why that occured but the facts as you clearly statedshows that your lease holder did not back your clubs activities.

Did you ever stop to consider why your lease holderaccepted a neighbors, (as you stated unsubstantiated) complaints asreason enoughto decided he would be better off not leasing to you?
Old 10-19-2005, 08:45 PM

It is not a personal vendetta that happened 15 years ago. The reason that the timber company did not lease it was because they were in litigation and chose to sell off all of their land. If anything someone should learn from this is,if they lease land and kill some decent bucks they need to keep quite! What I am trying to determine is this just a local problem that we have in SC. I am going to answer my own question and say, yes. The simple fact of the matter is the DNR does not have any say in mandating new laws in SC. The legislature does and I am trying to help make a change in that the DNR does need its own voice in the SC GA. Then maybe we can getsomething settled about maybe having 2 seperate seasons and it will not be a problem. The biggest obsticle is doing nothing but complaining. I know for a fact that there is a lot of people harping about property owner rights just to try and eliminate dog hunting period.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

To answer your question, yeah probably, but way more times from stray dogs than actual deer hunters dogs, but It don't really bother me much, I get plenty of deer every year. Briairhead, I made a seperate post for you to look at.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:08 PM

I don't think that it is ruining deer hunting, but it definitely has some negative impacts.

Quick Reply: Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.