Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting? >

Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting?

Old 10-13-2005, 08:54 PM

Default RE: Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting?

Unfortunately Briarhead, I have had extensive experience with dog hunters in SC and S Georgia. And without exception, the dogs caused trouble, ruined hunts, don't all get picked up and turn wild. The clubs that hunted around us would deliberately go to the other side of our property and turn them loose across us. In Bloomingdale , Georgia outside Savannah, a club was run off by the local police for parking in people's yards, gunning on the side of the road, using cb radioes, and careless and illegal other practices. In SC, we had 2 clubs ruined by them. One was 3500 acres, and the other was 1700 acres--not the small tract of land you mentioned before. Out of 25 hunters, there were only 12 deer killed the entire season. I could go onand on ,but I don't want to discourage you as you sound like a decent guy. But, it's not the dogs, but the people. In one of the SC clubs, on opening weekend, the adjacent dog club was lined up on a dirt road that went through our property--on both sides! I asked them what they were doing, and they said picking up their dogs. I asked them why they needed their guns--and got a blank stare with the go to you know where look! In middle Georgia, it was the same--except when they weren't running dogs during the day, they were spotlighting at night! I caught them red handed, and turned them in. THey were ejected rom their lease--turns out they were all city of Macon police officers. The worst offense was in October, rut time in SC, and I found a geat spot deep in a swamp that took over an hour to get to. I made my way through the thick stuff, hung my stand , just in time to have the dogs run righjt through my area. Seconds later I heard shots--from a shotgun, very close. I literally ran out of there to the spot the shots came from, and found drag marks. I followed them and caught up to the guys dragging a nice buck from off our lease. On my way out to get the game warden, I was met at the gate by 2 members of the dog club that wanted me to let them come on our property to get THEIR deer!--I'll just leave it at that--but I could go on for days with similar instances. So---NO! I don't care for dog hunting at ALL!
Old 10-14-2005, 09:47 AM

"If someone's dog is runningMYDEER all over creation he is going to pay for it if I can help it. That is just the way it is."

This is the target audience I am reffering too!
I do not think you own any deer sir, unless you are operating a deer farm? Deer are a property of all who reside in that state. No offense but this is a mentality that has to change or else the next thing you complain about is your neighbor killing your deer no matter what practiced method is used!
Old 10-14-2005, 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: manuman

Unfortunately Briarhead, I have had extensive experience with dog hunters in SC and S Georgia. And without exception, the dogs caused trouble, ruined hunts, don't all get picked up and turn wild. The clubs that hunted around us would deliberately go to the other side of our property and turn them loose across us. In Bloomingdale , Georgia outside Savannah, a club was run off by the local police for parking in people's yards, gunning on the side of the road, using cb radioes, and careless and illegal other practices. In SC, we had 2 clubs ruined by them. One was 3500 acres, and the other was 1700 acres--not the small tract of land you mentioned before. Out of 25 hunters, there were only 12 deer killed the entire season. I could go onand on ,but I don't want to discourage you as you sound like a decent guy. But, it's not the dogs, but the people. In one of the SC clubs, on opening weekend, the adjacent dog club was lined up on a dirt road that went through our property--on both sides! I asked them what they were doing, and they said picking up their dogs. I asked them why they needed their guns--and got a blank stare with the go to you know where look! In middle Georgia, it was the same--except when they weren't running dogs during the day, they were spotlighting at night! I caught them red handed, and turned them in. THey were ejected rom their lease--turns out they were all city of Macon police officers. The worst offense was in October, rut time in SC, and I found a geat spot deep in a swamp that took over an hour to get to. I made my way through the thick stuff, hung my stand , just in time to have the dogs run righjt through my area. Seconds later I heard shots--from a shotgun, very close. I literally ran out of there to the spot the shots came from, and found drag marks. I followed them and caught up to the guys dragging a nice buck from off our lease. On my way out to get the game warden, I was met at the gate by 2 members of the dog club that wanted me to let them come on our property to get THEIR deer!--I'll just leave it at that--but I could go on for days with similar instances. So---NO! I don't care for dog hunting at ALL!
I hope you calleda game warden in your area and reported them. I do not support that kind of hunter period. In my estimation these are exactly the people that need to be reported to the local DNR's. They are slobs and are ruining a good sport.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow... I have had my share of encounters with dog hunters here in VA. Most counties east of the Blue Ridge Mts allow it, but a few public WMA's don't allow it. At least bow season and muzzleloader season are dog free. But general firearms season is when 900,000 coon hounds and blue ticks roam the woods.... [:'(]

My personal view? I don't understand it, that's all. I mean, I'm not putting it down, but it just seems strange to me (being that I'm originally from NY and relocated to VA). I guess for the most part, if you wants to run dogs, fine.... run dogs. I just won't hunt in your area where your dogs are.

How do you bag a deer anyway? Practice skeet shooting first before taking to the woods with dogs? The deer is going to be going Mach IV at top speed to get away from the dogs. The deer is going to be pumped full of adrenaline too, and from what I heard, the venison is rumored to be very gamey and almost nasty compared to a calm quiet deer.

.....just my opinion folks. No flames, please...
Old 10-14-2005, 10:29 AM

Well because of my work schedule I only get avery few precious days of hunting every year. Last year I had every hunt ruined by dogs. Every single one. But those hunters were not breaking the law. They were on public land and use of dogs was leagal for the season. So I have to chalk that up to my tough luck.

Now this year I will e able to go during the early muzzleloading season. And like the old Charlie Brown cartoon said NO DOGS ALLOWED! So hopefully I will have a successful season.

I think the cooperative answer to the problem is establishing a Deer Dog Season and or specified areas. That way the dog guys have a place to go and so do the non-dog guys. Check out the way Virginia does it. Overall its pretty good every one gets a small piece of the pie.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:26 PM

I have had dogs ruin my hunt i guess you could say. Meaning i have had dogs run deer i was watching off. I love watching deer in my food plots it is therepy to me. I don't always go with the intent to get a deer. I don't want deer run off by dogs.
They still allow dogs in arkansas but only a few clubs in my area still use them. I do not like it. Folks talk about baiting as lazy BULL ..dog hunting is for those that don't want to develop a area that is conducive to deer.

Now I will tell a little story about a club that still uses dogs in my area. a few years back i had a dog come through my pasture and run several does off my food plot i was enjoying.Now i have 2100 acres leased or personnally owned so deer dogs shouldnt be on my larger tract.
I noted a radio collar on the dog . I didnt shoot the dog but did have the pleasure of meeting the owner later on a county road that runs through our area. he was looking for his dogs. his club is some 3 miles away and only has about 300 acres!!
I explained i don't tolerate dogs on my area and he got smart and claimed he had no control over where his dogs went. I politely explained I have control where they don't go!

Sadly that old dog returned to my pasture .................he is still there!!!!!!

The collar i kindly returned to the jerks area in a deep creek!

I don't like doing that but i will!
Old 10-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

To Briarhead...

M.T. here is another post by a still hunter who is very involved with trying to stop dog hunting.

I don't believe, however, that they make much effort to prevent their dogs from crossing the line when they're on a hot trail. The end result, however, is the same: Their dogs come on my property against my wishes, they chase deer on my property while I am trying to hunt the deer in their normal routine, and they stay on my property long after their "handlers" have gone home. Whatever HCHC's intentions are, they ruin MY use of MY land in the manner of MY choosing.
End Quote

This is what I am up against! This guy owns a few acres next to a huge tract of land that has been a dog hunting club for 20 years. He knewthe land next to himwas hunted by doggers before he ever bought his land which adjoins the 5,000 acres the doggers have. What I am trying to establish is thatwhat he is complaining aboutis indeed propaganda to be used as a tool to help stop dog hunting.Especially when he knew about the dog situation before ever buying his 20 acres.
Propaganda?

I believe you are the one spreading propaganda. There is zero logic behind your argument...

You paint the original poster as being the one in the wrong, when in fact the original poster is completely Correct. It is his land!

If the hunting club can't control their dogs they have two choices. Stop using dogs, or fence off all access to the neighbors property preventing the dogs from intruding on the neighbors land. They have no rights in this situation regardless of how long they may have hunted thier own land.

And Yes,

If running ones dogs on a neighbors property without permission is regularly occuring while hound hunting then it should be made illegal!

Propaganda defined..

What separates propaganda from "normal" communication is in the subtle, often insidious, ways that the message attempts to shape opinion. For example, propaganda is often presented in a way that attempts to deliberately evoke a strong emotion, especially by suggesting illogical (or non-intuitive) relationships between concepts.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:29 AM
Fork Horn

Briarhead
I personally have had no hunts up here in idaho ruined by dog hunters. We have enough issues w/wolves. S.S.S. I do agree w/several posts that have been posted. First offa property owner does have the right to choose whoor what(dogs) he allows to hunt on his property. A property owner may not own deer on his property, butyour saying it's alright to tresspass to hunt those deer. Where do you draw the line? I may have misinterpreted your previous responses. If so, I'm sorry.

Here is a point you may like. Ihave used my dogs to help retrieve downeddeer that I couldn't find. Never have I used them to hunt.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Never tried it , don't knock it!! Here in FL, most Wild Life Management areas have desingnated dog hunting sections. What a man does on his own property is his business. If it bothers you, Move!!
Amen Reb ..this just KILLS me .... I do not dog hunt deer but I don't think its hurting deer hunting any more then allowing a muzzloader that can shoot out to 150 to 200 yards to be considered a " Premitive" weapon ... just my humble opinion

ROLL TIDE
DD
Old 10-16-2005, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Well if you are really trying to get the opinion of those that do not dog hunt I will give you mine.

The biggest problem with dog hunting and what will probably get it outlawed here eventually is the bad apples. The same with anything else it is the few knuckle heads out there screwing it up for everyone else. I have seen things like people driving up in peoples yard and getting out with guns to wait for deer or intentionally running their dogs across property they know they should not, driving in farmers field after being told to stay out.

I believe it all comes down to this mentality of it is their god given right to do as they please when it comes to dog hunting. These people don't realize that times change, people change and neighbors change and there is less and less patience for this type of nonsense.

For me personally, I do enjoy listening to the dogs in the distance and watching a bunch of deer run by me. However, overall I think the deer herd quality is very poor. Dog hunters are notorious for killing anything that moves so alot of small inexperienced bucks get shot.

[/align]

Quick Reply: Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.