Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting? >

Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting?

Old 10-09-2005, 05:10 PM

Default RE: Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting?

Have you ever heard this argument before?

It seems strange to me that when a man goes on someone else's land to hunt it's called tresspassing. But if that same man lets his dogs go on other people's land to hunt FOR him, it's called "tradition". This is nonsence! A landowner or leaseholder doesn't have to justify why he doesn't want people (or dogs) on his land. Do you dog hunters really believe that we shouldn't be upset when a pack of deer hounds comes running through OUR property just because it's YOUR tradition? You should keep YOUR tradition on YOUR property. It seems outrageous to me that anybody would think that a property owner or leaseholder should quietly tolerate intrusion and trespass so that another group (in this case dog hunters) can entertain itself. Then you have the nerve to say it's OUR fault because we won't let you come on OUR property in your 4-wheelers and pickups to retrieve YOUR dogs that shouldn't have been on OUR property in the first place!
Old 10-09-2005, 05:13 PM

ORIGINAL: ths78

Dogs don't ruin hunts.

Is your glass half empty or half full?

You'll actually see more deer movement in areas where dogs run; whether they're your dogs are not.

Besides, except during the rut, how else are you gonna get a mature buck up and moving during the day. You'll be much more successful with anything (dogs, etc) moving the deer.

Good Luck

I dont think you have a full grasp of what I'm trying to accomplish here. I am a dog hunter, and I am doing research from forum to forum.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

briar, i don't believe you'll have to worry about it too much longer as i believe dog hunting is on its way out, really kind of sad[&o], for some people in some states it is all they have ever known, you may be glad to see it gone, but to the person that dosent have the luxury of a high doller club with fewer members it will cause some to not hunt at all, i don't care for hounding deer, i have done it years ago and had a good time, even killed a few deer, but it is not what i enjoy anymore, but i still feel we could co-exist, the doggers will have to become more aware of private property and respect it, i have hunted with some groups that were there own worst enemy, coon hunters that can't see property lines, and go where ever they please. not good for hunting in general. but one thing i can tell you, there is something that you do that bothers other small groups, there are bow-hunters that think hunting with a high-powered rifle should be outlawed, other states people cannot imagine hunting with anything but bows, shotguns, or m/l'ers, no rifles, i'm not saying one is right the other is wrong, but just remember what comes around goes around, as hunters we should all be working together for the betterment of the chase we all enjoy, ever heard the saying devide and conquer, hunters need to stick together, cause to the non-hunting public weather you dog hunt, still hunt, or poach, were all (unfortunately) lumped together[&o], your best bet is going to be talk to the group that is running the hounds and the game warden, ya'll need to come to some agreement, if it gets beyond your control both groups will suffer...best of luck man
Old 10-09-2005, 05:43 PM

M.T.

First off I am not against dogging, what was posted earlier is not me talking about ruining someone else's oppourtunities. What I posted may seem vague at best to you and other members here. My goal is to see if the national concensus about dogging is the same as the originalquoted post(which I copied from another forum). I am pro dogging,and in my home state the deer heard is around 1 million deer. I am not worried about the dnr trying to do away with it. I am concerned about other people who complain about it by saying it incroaches on their property ownerrights. This is the newest spin on trying to outlaw dog hunting. Here I will post another quote from someone else on another forum.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

make sure that you state that it is another persons quote, i think a few ofus were cornfused,here in bama a lot of doggin is done but i am afraid it is on its way out, and i do think that is sad[&o], dont bet though that people are not trying to stop it in your state, even people in your state dnr, like i mentioned earlier in a post some love it, some hate it, some of those same people make the rules and work for/with dnr, for your sake i hope you continue to be able to run the dogs, because i do believe people should be able to if that is there perferred method of hunting, really nothing quite like the race, but both sides lovers/haters better resolve the issue among themselves, the last people you want deciding what hunting methods are legal is the gooberment[:-]
Old 10-09-2005, 05:59 PM

M.T. here is another post by a still hunter who is very involved with trying to stop dog hunting.

I don't believe, however, that they make much effort to prevent their dogs from crossing the line when they're on a hot trail. The end result, however, is the same: Their dogs come on my property against my wishes, they chase deer on my property while I am trying to hunt the deer in their normal routine, and they stay on my property long after their "handlers" have gone home. Whatever HCHC's intentions are, they ruin MY use of MY land in the manner of MY choosing.
End Quote

This is what I am up against! This guy owns a few acres next to a huge tract of land that has been a dog hunting club for 20 years. He knewthe land next to himwas hunted by doggers before he ever bought his land which adjoins the 5,000 acres the doggers have. What I am trying to establish is thatwhat he is complaining aboutis indeed propaganda to be used as a tool to help stop dog hunting.Especially when he knew about the dog situation before ever buying his 20 acres.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

just like any type of hunters and hunting settings some hunters will mess it up for the rest i have had dog hunters come in and dump their dogs in areas that were for still hunting only and wait for the deer to come out and i have seen still hunters go into areas that were for dog hunting and complain about dogs. a couple of the hunts that i have been on have been messed up by dog hunters that just dont care about anyone else and yes i have been on both sides i still hunt now but i dog hunted for 30 years
Old 10-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

i feel your pain brother unfortunatly the squeeky wheel gets the grease, like i mentioned i believe dog hunting is on its way out, i would not vote against it, and i'm not really sure if i would go vote for it, therein lies the problem, this club has had/hunted this property for 20+ years, some guy comes in and buys 20-100 acres and he wants to tell everybody how to hunt, the best idea i could give would be to line his boundy and turn the dogs out there, i know some deer will loop back but you cant control where the deer or the dogs will run, this is a tough situation, like i said before, best of luck, but don't be surprised at the people including those in the dnr who are against it, i know all but a handful of alabama counties used to allow hounds, it is slowly going by the wayside to clubs with mega acrage and few hunters[&o]
Old 10-09-2005, 06:07 PM

I also adhere to the idea that we are all hunters as one big family. Unfortunately the still/bowhunters in my statedo not want to/or believe that someday we will have to fight for what we believe in, as a group, side by side. Which just plays right into the anti's divide and conquer strategy.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey briar you could do a poll on here, one thing i will tell you though there are a lot of people here that have never hunted w/dogs or in the lush undergrowth in areas like your hunting, one guy on here even said it was like starting a fire in the woods and every deer would be driven out, you'll see very quickly those that have hunted ahead of hounds and those that have never experinced it, even though they want you to think they have seen it all, BTW what breed do yall run, we always used beagles, blueticks, and redbones, the walkers were a little to quick for our liking......

Quick Reply: Do you think dog hunters/dogs for deer are ruining hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.