HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   past and present (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/115916-past-present.html)

dkhamner 10-07-2005 06:16 PM

past and present

has anyone noticed this difference? when i was a young boy and my dad took me deer hunting for the first time, he had a deer leaseinwhich he paid $300 for a two week mule deer season. this was in the texas panhandlenorth of the caprockcanyon state park. the ranchhad about50 sections, a huge lease. there were 8 hunters and not everyone tagged out. my first deer was taken on this ranch. as the years have gone by, the land owner has gone up and up and up on his price until the average blue collar hunter can't afford it. i have seen this through out the state of texas. i went on a trip to san antonio texas a few weeks ago and i drove down highway 281. some of the most beautiful country i've laid my eyes on. but what is up with the "HIGH FENCE" hunting property? this is pathetic. i noticed a for sale sign on a high fence ranch $3500 an acre!! wow!!! some are wondering why we're losing the young hunters? i don't know many young kids that can afford to hunt. seems to me hunting will be taken over by doctors, lawyers and congressmen and the blue collar will take up golfing. whats going on?

s. il. hntr 10-07-2005 06:42 PM

RE: past and present

only been hunting for 6 years now so i dont know about the past but i hear you on the issue of hunting grounds. with 95% of IL. being private land it can be difficult hunting. the only public place within 25 miles of me has so many hunters already and a mountain of paperwork and special regulations to remember. that it almost doesn't seem worth it

Dead_River 10-07-2005 06:54 PM

Could not agree with you more dk. We lease 1,000 acres here in Ga. for a very decent price, but I am not sure how much longer it will be before they double the price. And golf is almost to the point of unaffordable........

_Dan 10-07-2005 07:00 PM

I will have to agree that it is getting ridiculous. Not only has the demand gone up for the properties, but so have the taxes for the landowners. Many landowners here in Wisconsin have to lease out the properties just to pay the taxes. Its a shame.

cardeer 10-08-2005 01:42 AM

Terrible aint it.Dont feel to bad up here in SE Pa a acres is going for over 50,000

greatwhithunter 10-08-2005 07:19 AM

Thats pathetic.

trailer 10-08-2005 10:56 AM

We are lucky here in that we have lots of crown land to hunt on. If I had to pay for hunting on someone property, I would have given up hunting a long time ago.

Rebel Hog 10-08-2005 11:14 AM

Trailer, where areyou from?

il coyote 10-08-2005 11:52 AM

yep, it sucks. it's too bad that hunting has turned away from a recreational sport and become a business.

trailer 10-08-2005 02:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Trailer, where are you from?
Rebel, Don’t you understand the abbreviation (WPG. MB.) ?? LOL... I’m from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada....
UP NORTH EH ! ! :D