HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Does any one kow how to fire a bow "the right way"? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/115612-does-any-one-kow-how-fire-bow-right-way.html)

byrnemi 10-05-2005 12:45 PM

Does any one kow how to fire a bow "the right way"?

i got a bow for my 16th birthday. i can use it but i can't aimthat good. everytime i firwe it i'm like a mile off target how can i get it to go where i what it to go? help me becausei'm getting frustrated. this is what i look like when i get like that. but there would be words with it.

Furync 10-05-2005 12:51 PM

RE: Does any one kow how to fire a bow "the right way"?

have you tried the bowhunting forum? :D

A the P 10-05-2005 12:57 PM

First thing, are you using the peep sight on the string? When I first started shooting, I didn't know about it. I was incredibly frustrated till I finally realised what it was for. Then things got better real fast. ;)

cpsniper05 10-05-2005 02:45 PM

Well of course you should be using a peep sight like "A the P" said. However I believe the practice and exact repition is the Key. Practice bringing the bow back to the same spot everytime. When you release try keeping your hand holding the bow in the exact same spot. Great Luck and hope things get better

Aim Small, Miss Small

TerryM 10-05-2005 02:54 PM

You should ask the question in the bowhunting forum. You need to give more details about your equipment setup. Is the draw lengthg correct, was it measured by a proshop ? next does your bow have adjustable sights ? If it does start shooting at close range like 10 yds. When you start grouping at that range then adjust your sights to point of impact then step back to 20 yds and shoot groups. You could have equipment ( improperly tuned bow ) issues or you could have shooting form problems. I would recommend you go to a pro shop and they would likely fix you up very quickly. Archery has a learning curve so don't expect to pick up a bow and shoot bullseyes from the get go.

DoctorDeath 10-05-2005 05:46 PM

practice ....practice ....PRACTICE!

Roll Tide
DD

Paul L Mohr 10-05-2005 06:04 PM

I agree, this should either be in the bowhunting or technical section of the archery forums. They are the first forums at the top of the page.

What kind of bow are we talking about? A long bow or a recurve that you are shooting with fingers and no sights. Or a modern compound with sights and possibly a release.

If it's a recurve or long bow try the traditional archery forum.

If it's a compound it is important that the bow fits you properly. You can't just grab any old bow and shoot it well. Some proper instruction from an experienced archer wouldn't be a bad idea either. And the bow needs to be set up correctly as well. The proper length and spined arrows with correct rest set up.

But the most important thing is that the bow fits you and you have proper form. You don't have to have a peep sight and sights, but it will sure make things easier.

Why don't you start by telling us what kind of bow it is and how fits you. I can link you to some threads here or a web page that can list what the different parts are and what some of the terms mean. As well as pictures of proper form and what not. I can also try and talk you thru some of it as well. But it really helps to have someone actually show you. That way they can look and see what you doing wrong.

Paul

Paul L Mohr 10-05-2005 06:07 PM

Double post again![:@]. I never had that problem before, now it's happened twice since the format change?

Nord QC Bouman 10-05-2005 06:26 PM

In agreement with the peep sight. You also need a good anchor technique to make sure yu pull back in the same spot each time. I use my ear well to my thumb-knukcle. Alot depends on your release - get a good release.

Basics- make sure you have a knock lug on you string or a release loop that you can knock- same spot each time - top is typical but find out what is level to the rest.Kisser button help to repeat the placementand the peep sight gives a good pin placement.

I am only afew years into bowand Itook a buck last year at 90 yards - within 2 inches to vitials.

DD has it right - practice and get to know you bow - every one is different.

ks_vtec 10-05-2005 06:35 PM

What??????
90 yards with a bow?