Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Newbie with ammo question

Old 10-05-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Newbie with ammo question

My uncles taking me hunting this year my first time. my question is I have a 25-06 and will the remington cor-lokts or winchester superX in 115-120grn be ok? I am a pretty good shot with the gun hit within a inch out to 100 and inside 2 inch at 200 but will only shoot from 50-150 yds.
I would like a fairly quick kill as property is only about400 yds wide with me in the middle but 1/2 mile long! Is there a bullet design that will drop a deer fairlyquick with 25-06?
Old 10-05-2005, 10:35 AM

Default RE: Newbie with ammo question

The core-lokts will be fine. As long as you make a good shot your deer shouldn't go more than 50 yards. It's really tough to anchor them in their tracks unless you hit the spine, the brain, or completely destroy the heart or both shoulders.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can shoot that well, the "high shoulder" shot will normally drop them in their tracks. If you don't have a real good rest,aim center of mass, on the shoulder. They won't go far either. Core-loks work fine.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: TomFromTheShade

The core-lokts will be fine. As long as you make a good shot your deer shouldn't go more than 50 yards. It's really tough to anchor them in their tracks unless you hit the spine, the brain, or completely destroy the heart or both shoulders.
Even with a solid heart shot, they can go a ways. And then sometimes, a normal lung shot will drop them in their tracks. Still haven't figured all of this out.

To original question- my experience with game ranging from small deer to large moose is just like Tom said - a plain vanilla double lung shot (with the chance of hitting the heart too) with a corelokt or standard grade from any of the manufacturers and they'll not go further than100 yards after the shot, usually more like 40 - 50. So, practice your shooting in "field conditions", practice chambering and making an accurate secont shot, when you get to the spot or stand you'll be hunting in, practice (slowly, quietly!) aiming your rifle at various areas to make sure you can hold the rifle and make a shot quickly and quietly when the deer appears.

When you get your chance, take the safest, "best" shot you can at the largest fatal target of the deer -the lungs. Studydiagrams of the deer's body to make sure you understand where that shot would bedepending on the angle the deer is at. Get a "vision" in your mind's eye about this.

Be super dilligent watching where it goes if into the brush if you shoot at it. Be sure to carefully mark in your mind the spot you last saw it. Believe me, it's easy to loose track of them after the excitement of the shot as they trot off after a lung shot. It's easy to lose track of which part of the brush they ducked into. It's surprising how hidden a large animal can be laying down in just a little brush. Keep your eyes glued on the spot you last saw it until you're sure you cango to it when you start to track. Wait at least 15 (better 30) minutes before going after it to give it a chance to bleed out and die without being spooked by you.But if you make a good shot , and and mark carefully, you'll find your animal well within your boundaries. I'll bet your uncle will school you on all this too. Have fun!
Old 10-05-2005, 04:45 PM

UncleNorbyare you telling me to hit them in the shlder itself? where the joint is? also my gun seems to like 100 grain's but I was told it was to lite.

zekeskarMy uncle don't hunt. he's just a old farmer he said last time years ago he shot them with a .22 all he had I'm talking 50 years ago he's 85. he said he shot them in the ear or somthing.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

62 -Take a lung-shot right where you were taught. This will get the animal wondering what has happened and not notice that he (I hope) is loosing blood and look to lay down. Take a good shot, mark the direction and wait 20 minutes before looking. Deer should move 100 yards and lay down. Larger buck may go farther, but not much.

Good Luck and Shoot straight if you can keep the excitment in check until you field it.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:16 PM

Just my opinion, not a super expert at this stuff, but... with your caliber gun, I'd shoot the heavier bullet, assuming it's accurate, say at least 2 inch groups at 100 yards. Also, I'd go for the lung shot and try to avoid the bones. I'm not sure, but a lighter caliber bullet might not perform all that well breaking bones. Unless you really take out both shoulders, the deer could escape. Plus, from my limited experience and from everyone I've talked to, the shoulder shot doesn't always drop them quicker than a double lung with or without heart. It defitely fouls more good meat. A double lung shot will always drop them within 100 yards and most always within 50 in my experience. Find some diagrams of shooting deer and study them. Practice on deer targets (hand drawn on a box is OK) if you think that would help. Have fun.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:22 PM

The 100 grain bullets are fine. If you have a really solid rest I wouldn't hesitate to take a shot on the shoulder itself. If you can break the shoulder you usually send bone fragments down into the lungs, and you even stand a pretty good chance of doing damage to the spine on a high shoulder shot. Either way, just take a good rest and aim steady. You will be fine. This isn't a cape buff we're talking about here lol.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:17 PM

Use remington core-lok ultra or Winchester nozlers..... then you will be set.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:29 PM

Everyone thanks a lot for all the help!

Quick Reply: Newbie with ammo question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.