Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

moultrie ditigal camera

Old 01-12-2006, 06:46 PM

Default RE: moultrie ditigal camera

These things are kind of crappy with quality control. Lots of guys have bad ones, some good. I have returned 2 of them and have 2 that seem to work. one is the 200 model and that one seems a little better. The 100 model has the same trouble with over-exposed pictures and poor range. I called the company and the guy had a double standard excuse. First about the poor range, he said "I wouldnt want a picture of a deer further that 15 feet anyway" then for the overexposure he said "yea that will happen if the deer is too close and the flash bounces back at the camera"
I guess this jerk likes close ups of overexposed deer!
Anyway, i wouldnt buy one until they get the bugs worked out. Maybe the next batch will be fixed and they will be woth it but for now i wouldnt waste my money if i had to do it again.
BTW, there is a post on Bowsite that tells you how to fix the poor range problem. Mine has this problem and i ordered the parts to fix it. seems pretty easy. Sounds like the IR sensor is located to far away from the lense that it sits behind. A guy who builds homebuilt cameras did this mod and said it now works out to 25 feet like it should.
As far as the overexposer goes.. i wonder if putting a little tape over the flash would tone it down a bit??
As far as Viewing the pictures, a lot of guys forget that they have video cameras that can view them
Just take the RCwires that your video camera uses, and connect them to the RC wires the deercam came with Via a cheap adapter from radio shack or other store. Then put your video camera on record mode like you were going to duba tape from another camera and SURPRISE! the pictures show up. and if you want you can press record on yourvideo camera and record the video feed as you scroll through the pictures and play themback on your TV at home through the camcorder. Any camcorder can do this..... you just didnt think of it
Old 01-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have two moultries. No complaint about the pic quality. Problem is with the trigger speed. You can sometimes dance around in front of it for ever without a pic. Camera is useless if you don't set it up on a food plot or mineral lick where the deer will linger long enough for it to kick in. ...........dabow
Old 01-12-2006, 07:41 PM

Mine works good but it does have minor problems such as cold killing a battery fast, to close and the deer looks white, and a not very sensitive sensor but other than that I like it! It isn't hard to work with these problems in my eyes.

[/align]
Old 01-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

it is a great camera i have three myself and if i can figure out how to put tham on the computer i will show you the quality of the photos
Old 01-13-2006, 06:45 PM

well after several hundred pic. i think its well worth 100 buck, slow on thetrigger, not the best on quality, but all i wanted to see it do.it did just that.take a look.

Old 01-13-2006, 06:48 PM

heres another