Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are we Losing our Young Hunters?

Old 11-21-2005, 11:39 AM

Default RE: Are we Losing our Young Hunters?

you sure aint losin me either im 16 and i just started hunting last year but i have fished all my life and have always loved the outdoors and i just got back from an overnight hunt and even though i never shot a buck it was better than playing ps2 for sure
Old 11-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Losing hunters should be a big concern for all who do hunt and enjoy the outdoors. I live in western WI and on the radio this morning they were talking about the reduction in the # of hunters due to the fact that the older hunters are hanging it up and the younger kids have so many other things to pull them away from the outdoors. I really have to restrict my kids from playing video games otherwise, I think they might play all day. Kids now a days have so many things they can do so if they don't have someone close to them that can influence them with hunting, the numbers will continue to dwindle. Our state is trying to lower the age for legal hunting to 10 which should help kids get into hunting before they get sucked into the video bliss. My 9 yr. old is hoping the age limit will be changed.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

In order for the kids to get into hunting and develop a desire to do it, there has to be a lot of adults doing it too. Sad to say that not a lot of adults are pursuing hunting anymore because of the inability to take time off from work, lack of access to productive hunting areas and the real patience that is necessary to bag an animal. Hunting will continue to be less and less popular because of the reasons I've listed above. Also, hunting takes a bit of phyiscal effort and it's much easier for a kid to just sit down and do something, as oppossed to enduring the elements in pursuit of that elusive buck in the wilds. My kids will be given a chance to experience hunting, but I'll be the first to admit that hunting is a time consuming hobby and a few other hobbies branch off of it, such as reloading and shooting. I feel that there is not enough time to take advantage of hunting when other daily things must be done. So when I do hunt I thoroughly enjoy it.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not losing me im 15. Just sometimes the females kinda make it difficult to get out as much.[:-]