Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Butchering?

Old 10-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Butchering?

Dan Fitzgerald has a good video that my family uses, starts with the hunt, shoots it, tracks, guts, drags, skins, butchers and wraps. He is very clear in direction on cutting up the meat and gives a couple of ways to use most parts.

We pretty much follow his steps and end up with lots of good meat.

Old 10-25-2005, 01:08 PM

Default RE: Deer Butchering?

the easy way is this and i know what im doing my father is a bucher for 30 years.(1)every hindquarter has seams between musles.they look like white lines cut membrane between musles you can almost pull them apart.(2)seperate all musles that way every musle is a differnt cut so keep seppret.(3)o.k. now we have the quarter totaly deboned (i usualy do all this while deer is hanging and end up with compleat skillaten when done)in time youll do the same with practice. Now that slimmy sinue on out side of musle will ruen tast it is critacal to get that off.theres 2 ways take alot of time tring to hold it still while you cut it off or put in freezer for about 30min give or take it will stiffen musle and memrain makes easy 2 shave off membrain with good sharp knife.(4)the musle is kinda like wood its got a grain.never cut with grain.reason tough steaks and a blood tast the blood wont drain out of meat properly.most musles you will side to side not long ways which is usualy the longest point. it is up to you on thickness.(5)ok hinds should be done.back straps clean off membrain the same and cut with of strap never lenghth.iner loins fri as are.front shoulders cut off all meat and grind with about a half a hand full of beef fat or pork try both to tast neck give away aint worth trouble unless chunk for soap ribs cut lenghth of deer while hanging might want to do that first.wash in water to remove some bone meral put in freezer for little while let stiffen then shave off membrain. hope this will give an idea takes me about 2 hours from start of deer to finished steaks.go to dollar store and get pair of yellow cleaning gloves bring home and wash them good then you can use them the less contact with bear hands the less likely to cantamenate your meat