Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Butchering?

Old 10-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer Butchering?

Xharp knives ,Big thing
Old 10-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I, too, am glad for the help guys. I was pretty good at deboning the meat but had a hard time with figuring out how to do specific cuts. Having the right tools is a big part of that in my opinion.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:12 PM

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

Here is a good free video on how to butcher a deer. Good luck.

http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/video/deerfield.wmv?lid=1038&NavPath=C151C158
Excellent video. Follow that advice.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

excellent video ,great way to butcher
Old 10-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Excellent video.
is there a video out there, that shows how to field dress a deer?
I would like to give my son an idea of how to do it as he walks away when ever someone is dressing one.
thanks
Old 10-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a good video, and how we do our meat. Usually, though, we end up using a saw to at least cut the animal in half (big mule deer and elk). We cut between the 2nd and 3rd ribs, cut the shoulders off as he showed, and then cut one rear quarter off right along the tail bone, and let the other one and rib cage hang, then cut the other leg off and bone out the rib cage, and then the last rear quarter. But for a deer of that size, I can't see any better way to do it.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Skin it, gut it, and carry it to the proscessor.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sharp knivesand a good steel are essential. Their is no need to use a saw on deer sized game to bone it out. The front and rears can be detached by following the anatomy/bones of the animal. I hang my game from the rear hocks & start with the fronts. Basically just release the front shoulder behind the scapula bone with a knife. On a deer the fronts are really not choice cuts, so I view them as stew or grind. Once I have removed the fronts and deboned, I then remove the flanks. Again for me this meat is put with the grind. With the animal hanging via the rear hocks, I release both rear hinds by way of following the pelvic bone to the ball in socket joint and up to the floating rib. In the ball in socket joint their is a tendon the must be cut to release the hinds. I then remove the backstraps from the rib cage by following the spine contour from rear to neck(which are steaked - either medallions or butterflied). If you care to you can remove the intercostal rib meat for grind or cut in half for a rack of ribs-this requires a saw. Finally I debone the hinds, their are 3 major muscle groups on the rear hinds. By way of following the natural contours or bones you will remove these three cuts..which can be steaked, roasts, etc. The lower shank meat on both front & rear is for grind. Remember no matter how you cut the meat you will have grind so if you happen to leave a little one your first few attempts it will not be wasted! Also whenever you cut steaks, roasts or stew you want to cut cross grain, the meat is like wood you will be able to see the grain so before you start cutting your muscles make sure it is cross not along!!!! The small caps on the muscles and end of the cuts on the rounds can be used for grind or stewing.

For table quality make sure you remove hair/debris after skinning. I use a clean cloth with some vinegar and water to wipe down the carcass. It does not taint the meat. If their is still hair remaining I use a small propane torch to burn the hair off, being hollow they disolve very quickly. Secondly remove any bloodshot or ruined meat from the shot site. Finally removethe fat & silver skin as much as possible from your cuts. Game fat is not great in the taste factor, so if your grinding beef or pork fat is what you want to add.

I have never had a problem with brown waxed paper wrapping. First I wrap the meat in butcher grade freezer saran wrap, then make sure to tuck and tightly fold my butcher wrap on my cuts. I tape with freezer tape and mark the packages with a marker (contents and year).My meat rarily lasts the year, but have never had a single freezer burn issue. The key is make sure the air is removed by tightly wrapping and your meat frozen throughout. I never stack my meat until it is completely frozen, so I lay it out with some air between each package before stacking.

It is very rewarding and I found more enjoyable, so just go for it. Books, videos or a buddy who has experience won't hurt but nothing teaches like practice!

Best of luck
Old 10-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks...I always do my own but this has still been very helpful in knowing specific cuts.
Chuck
Old 10-25-2005, 10:12 AM

Great video Longrifle. I was a butcher on a sword fish boatfor almost four years and was glad to see a video out there that really went in depth as far as the cuts. Alot of deadend when you do an internet search for butchering info

Quick Reply: Deer Butchering?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.