HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   makin a artifical scrape (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/115223-makin-artifical-scrape.html)

PSEsilverhawk55 10-02-2005 08:35 PM

makin a artifical scrape

iwas wondering if any of yall could tell me how to do this or maybe or tell me of somewhere where i could get this information,,,also what do u do when makin a scrape that u think makes it more productive???

Deleted User 10-03-2005 11:11 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Rebel Hog 10-03-2005 11:24 AM

RE: makin a artifical scrape

ORIGINAL: Ifferd

Here's my 2 cents,

I use a long stick (anything I find in the woods)to make the scrape so I can stand back and not step in it or touch it. I also use a dropper or spray bottle to put doe estrus/urine in the scrape. Almost all the realscrapes I've found are on flat open areas in the woods or on logging roads so I try to pick similar spots.

Good luck.

DITTO!

bighorns35 10-03-2005 11:34 AM

i have been making mock scrapes for a few years now. i try and place them where atleast 2 trails come together. 3-4 is even better. i keep my stand about 30 or so yards away from them. but i use the small flower bed shovel and rakes to turn the ground. i spray them down with scent a way first. i like to make the scrape 2-3 feet in diameter. like its the dominant scrape. i wear rubber boots and gloves also.but i put just buck urine in them until i start seeing the bucks start the cruising phase. then i switch to buck in rut and also will put doe in heat in them. i start my mock scrapes in middle of sept. just when you start seeing the scrapes appear. i freshen them up atleast once a week. until deer season starts. oct.15 here. then everytime i hunt that stand ill freshen them up. i also use a couple different kinds of scent sometimes to get the illusion of more than 1 buck is hitting that scrape. specially durring the rut. i want the dominant buck to get mad and keep trying to catch the others that are supposedly in his area. i also take the rake and will make 2-3 mock rubs in the area as well. so any buck passing thru will see them and come check them out and infestigate the whole set up.make sure you have a licking branch as well. thats the key part in scrapes...

Hawgnman 10-03-2005 10:51 PM

After scraping with the stick and putting the scent in the scrape,break a small overhanging branch and put some scent on it. I like to use the gel for this. Kick a couple of leaves into the scrape so you can tell if the scrape is being used. Carry the stick away from the scrape.

BIG TUNA 10-04-2005 01:47 AM

ANOTHER LITTLE TIP IN MAKING A SCRAPE, IS THAT DEER ENTER A SCRAPE BY THE SAME DIRECTION THAT IT WAS MADE. WHEN SCRAPING THE GROUND, PULL THE DIRT BACK TOWARDS YOU ONLY. AS IF YOU ARE THE DEER STANDING IN ONE SPOT PULLING BACK WITH YOUR FRONT HOOFS. DON'T MOVE AROUND. USE THIS ADVISE TO YOUR ADVANTAGE. WHERE IS YOUR STAND? MAKE THE SCRAPE SO THE DEER ENTER WITH THEIR SIDES TO YOU. THE SAME WHEN BAITING, SUCH AS DROPPING APPLES. DOA SERIES OF SMALL PILES LEADING IN A DIRECTION THAT IT WILL NEED TO KEEP IT'S SIDE TO YOU. PLENTY OF TIME FOR A CLEAN SHOT. ONE SHOT, ONE KILL.

Striper Phil 10-04-2005 04:03 AM

Ilike to take a removed, the stinkier the beter, buck lower hind leg with the tarsel gland intact and leave it in an existing scrape. The deer really does not know it is a leg or so i believe because they reallytear up the scrape. The leg gets flung out of the scrape and is near by. This brings the buck back more often, well thats what is supposed to happen. Never verified with a trail cam but the scrape does seem to be more tended after introducing the leg.