Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

PARKING NEAR STAND

Old 09-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default PARKING NEAR STAND

LAST YEAR, SPENT A LOT OF EFFORT WITH ODOUR CONTROL, BEING QUIET, AND SITTING STILL, JUST TO SEE NOTHING THAT MORNING. I GET BACK TO THE TRUCK A DEER WALKED RIGHT BESIDE MY PICK-UP ALONG THE DRIVERS SIDE. HIS SIDE WAS ALMOST TOUCHING THE TRUCK HE WAS THAT CLOSE, WALKING A SLOW PACE. I WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER SITTING IN THE TRUCK AND PUTTING IT IN A HEAD LOCK. INORDER TO GET CONSISTANT KILLS, WHAT WOULD YOU SAY ISTHEMINIMAL DISTANCE THAT I SHOULD PARK FROM MY STAND. AND YES I REALIZE THAT FARTHER IS BETTER. I'VE BEEN KEEPING IT AT 150-200 YARDS. AWAY FROM THE NEAREST RUN THAT LEADS TO THE STAND, PLUS ROOM TO SPARE.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: PARKING NEAR STAND

I normally go about 1/4 mile from vehicle or about 400yds.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:24 PM

There is no right answer to this question other than Obeying the safety zones . My stand is about 60yards of the road . I have consistently gotten pics of a nice 9 point and 2 nice 8's along with does and fawns . A honey hole is still a honey hole wether its 60 yards off the road or 2 miles .
Old 10-01-2005, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I came out of the woods last week to 6 deer smelling my JD Gator....what a laugh I got. A John Deere to attract deer. It works!!!!! Buy one.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Well hell Reb I know that an ole deer huntter like you can hit at 400 yards ..specally if he is resting on the door mirrior .. :&gt)

Roll Tide
DD

Old 10-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

Well hell Reb I know that an ole deer huntter like you can hit at 400 yards ..specally if he is resting on the door mirrior .. :&gt)

Roll Tide
DD

Yep! It's not the deer I'm worried about, it's my southern
Cuz's that might have ideas about my truck!
Old 10-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Are you actually driving right up to the area that your stand is in or are you driving a road to the area close to your stand. I think there is a distinct difference there. Deer may be accustomed to seeing a vehicle parked along the road as opposed to at the edge of some field or woodlot. If you are parking on a road then I would say 100-200 yards should be sufficient. If you are parking out in the middle of some field or woods then you should park farther than that in my opinion.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto on this one. I don't like being close to a vehicle at all when hunting.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Are you actually driving right up to the area that your stand is in or are you driving a road to the area close to your stand. I think there is a distinct difference there. Deer may be accustomed to seeing a vehicle parked along the road as opposed to at the edge of some field or woodlot. If you are parking on a road then I would say 100-200 yards should be sufficient. If you are parking out in the middle of some field or woods then you should park farther than that in my opinion.
Doyou consider 1/4 mile close to the vehicle?
Old 10-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Where I hunt mulies, you can walk as far as you want but there is no real need to leave the Jeep. The deer in farm country have no fear what so ever of pick-ups and tractors and such. In the winter you can drive right up to them with a tractor and loader. They see vehicals every day and in the evening I can park about 150 yards from where they come up from the breaks to feed and just wait. Its easy hunting for an old guy.Last fall the biggest Mulie buck that I have ever seen (about 33-34 inch spead) walked about 100 yards from my jeep and never even looked my way. He is still out there because all I had was doe tags.

Quick Reply: PARKING NEAR STAND

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.