Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I am a relativley new hunter HELP >

I am a relativley new hunter HELP

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I am a relativley new hunter HELP

Old 09-29-2005, 02:13 PM

Default I am a relativley new hunter HELP

I have been on about 5 hunts in the past 5 years. I love to hunt but i dont really know what i am doing. Unfortunatly my dad doesn't hunt and neither do most of my friends. any advice ive been twice this year so far i plan on making a weekend of it starting friday night. My climber should be in by then. i need help with stand place ment as well as wind and scent cover ups.for the time being i am hunting with a crossbow but look forward to being able to afford a decent compound by next season.

By the way the land ill be hunting is public therefore reativly populated and it is also in the noth georgia moutains. I hunted it tuesday from about noon to 8pm. It was hot. I saw two fawn but i didn't want to kill a fawn. I'd rather see them go to help populate the area. But being on the groud i feel disadvantaged. ANY advice would be much appreciated

Greg; GA
Old 09-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I am a relativley new hunter HELP

Welcome to the sport!
I am by no means an expert hunter, but maybe look at what the food sources are for the deer around your area. Are there corn/soybean fields surrounded by woods? If so, I'd set-up just inside the treeline so that you have a shot at the field where they come out to feed. Also, you said itwas very hot where you hunted...maybe find a secluded water hole or stream thathas lots of deer signs around (droppings, buckrubs, trails, etc.). The bad part about hunting on public land is that movement by other hunters tend to push deer around quite a bit, this can sometimes make their movement unpredictable. The biggest thing that helps though, is experience. Don't be afraid to get out there, and don't be discouraged if you don't have instant success.
Good Luck, and don't forget to send us a picture when you get that monster buck!
Old 09-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know nothing about Ga. but the first thing I like to find when I am out hunting eather sex deer is a lot of droppings especially of different sizes the more the better. I find that it means that the deer are spending a lot of awake time in the area cause they don't sleep where they poop usually. Give it a try it can't hurt and good luck with it Mike
Old 09-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Dominant Buck

The best thing that you can do is to hook up with other hunters in your area and learn from them . They know the area as well as you or better , and they know the game well . There are plenty of forums here where you can meet folks , and the chat is always a good place to try too . Try the South forum first , lots of good fellas and ladies there . Georgia is well represented there , you should have no problem finding the folks you want.

Welcome to obsession , you're gonna like it here !

Old 09-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

WELL IF YOU HAVE ONLY HUNTED 5 TIMES IN 5 YEARS AND YOUR GOING TO USE A CLIMBER STYLE STAND FOR GODS SAKE BE SURE TO WEAR A SAFTY HARNESS ....

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 09-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Great advice,
I also am forced to hunt in a WMA. I check out th eguys who come out with game and ask questions none stop. They won't tell you ther eplace but here are some good questions that hav ehelped me.

1. Do yu score alot out here? In other words was he lucky or is he good?

2, Was you using a call and what kind and how did you use it? That qyuestion helped me the most last year. The WMA produced 17 deer and this fellow shot 3 of them.

3. What is the terrain like that you hunt and what do you look for when scouting? Usually their pride steps in and they may slip up and tell you more than they intended.

4. Don't interrupt and listen intently. People love to talk..just listen.They are usually the first at the gate before the gate opens. So be there and be friendly .
Chuck
Old 09-29-2005, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

WELL IF YOU HAVE ONLY HUNTED 5 TIMES IN 5 YEARS AND YOUR GOING TO USE A CLIMBER STYLE STAND FOR GODS SAKE BE SURE TO WEAR A SAFTY HARNESS ....
2 things will get you hurt faster than anything with a climber, inexperience and overconfidence, if you have never used a climber please get with someone who has the are a great tool for deer hunting, but not used properly they can become a deathtrap

OH YEA!!!! WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

hey DD there is still time to come to the other side, you'd look, emmm, better in a AU cap
Old 09-29-2005, 07:09 PM

what part of ga. are you from. i'm about an hour and half south west of columbus ga. near eufuala al. i've hunted since i can remember and still don't know it all, but i do know what not to do, our season opens oct 15 for bow, maybe we could get together and you can hunt a day or two with me, (free of charge) may not learn alot, but enjoy being in the woods isa lesson learned, good luck either way.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

I know nothing about Ga. but the first thing I like to find when I am out hunting eather sex deer is a lot of droppings especially of different sizes the more the better. I find that it means that the deer are spending a lot of awake time in the area cause they don't sleep where they poop usually. Give it a try it can't hurt and good luck with it Mike
Oh my god, im laughing so hard at this. I know it is ture but just the way you said it.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:47 PM

hey one,

I live about 45 minutes north of atl.

Quick Reply: I am a relativley new hunter HELP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.