Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck Rubs on small trees

Old 09-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Buck Rubs on small trees

My dad just bought some hunting land last winter and i scouted it out this spring and found quite a few rubs on about 1" diameter pine trees, so i figure its a small deer but i went out scouting recently and i checked up on these old rubs and there are fresh ones right next to them on 1" pine trees. Is this a small buck or is it a buck that just prefers smaller trees.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:57 PM

Default RE: Buck Rubs on small trees

Well, you can't put a definite rule down...but I have always heard that if you find a rub on a big tree, it is most likely a big deer, but if you find a rub on a small tree it could be a big deer as easily as a smaller deer. Personally, I have seen big deer tear small trees apart, break them in half, and all...however, i have never seen a smaller buck take on a bigger tree.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DeerManiac874

Well, you can't put a definite rule down...but I have always heard that if you find a rub on a big tree, it is most likely a big deer, but if you find a rub on a small tree it could be a big deer as easily as a smaller deer. Personally, I have seen big deer tear small trees apart, break them in half, and all...however, i have never seen a smaller buck take on a bigger tree.
ditto

you never can be too sure with small trees. it can go either way.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its a buck..no doubt..how big..hard to say..can you get up high and do some glassing....careful not to spook him
Old 09-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

i'll try to find some pics i've got kinda funny, one is a 140" 10pt wearing out a 1" tree the other is of a spike working on a 4" cedar, i guess he didn't know how small his "rack" was
Old 09-29-2005, 03:39 AM
Typical Buck

I'm with the above, shot a 10 pt 142 B&C that was rubbing in 1/2 to 1 inch trees only. I am pretty sure it was him since thenew rubs stopped after I shot him.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rubs on small trees are hard to call. If you found some on large trees then I would definitely say it is a large buck but any size buck can rub small trees.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

If it is early in the year,I would say a big buck is making them. Check for damage on the tree. Big bucks will shave all small limbs and bark on both sides with their tines and g2's. Small bucks won't cause as much damage. If you find the same trees rubbed 2 years in a row, more than likely you have found a good place to be.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:59 PM

I agree that you can't really tell a bucks rack size by the size of trees he rubs.

I have hunted deer that snap small trees in half, then I assume its a nice deer to have that strength for one and to be able to get the tree tangled up in his rack enough to break it.

I like looking at each rub itself. Things like, the amount of shavings on the ground. How "deep" the deer is rubbing. There are two rubs in an area I am hunting this year that in just year alone, the buck has rubbed about 1/4 out of the tree, not including bark. I haven't gotten any pics of him yet, but I am assuming that he probably has a really heavy rack. I have hunted this spot yday and seen three does. I hunted it this morning and seen six does. I am going back this afternoon. I know theres a nice buck there, just wish he could come out with his ladies.

Its easier to tell the a deer's rack "shape" than size. YOu can do this by seeing if theres any deep gashes or uniquie things about the rub.

If you find a "sign post" rub, it probably gets rubbed by every buck that passes it. So, those are deff. hard to tell.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:00 PM

Oh yeah, as stated above, the "experts" usually say that the mature and dominate bucks will usually rub and scrape first.

Quick Reply: Buck Rubs on small trees

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.