HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Does it realy work? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/114686-does-realy-work.html)

Southern Buck 09-28-2005 04:23 PM

Does it realy work?

Ive just put out one of those Deer Cane blocks and was wanting to know if these really work. Also are you supposed to bury it or let it sit on top of the ground it didint say on the directions ,I buried mine.

Little Yellowjacket 09-28-2005 05:26 PM

RE: Does it realy work?

You made the right choice, I didn't get Deer Cane, but I got the other brand with different flavors, and buried them.

OFTK

DoctorDeath 09-28-2005 05:57 PM

WELL I FOR ONE THINK IT WORKS GREAT ...I SHOT A BUCK LAST YEAR WHO HAD OBVIOUSY BEEN HITTING THE DEER COCAIN I HAD PUT OUT BECAUSE HIS EYES WHERE BLOODSHOT AND HE HAD WHITE POWDER ON HIS NOSE ....

ROLL TIDE
DD

m.t.hands 09-28-2005 06:06 PM

I SHOT A BUCK LAST YEAR WHO HAD OBVIOUSY BEEN HITTING THE DEER COCAIN I HAD PUT OUT BECAUSE HIS EYES WHERE BLOODSHOT AND HE HAD WHITE POWDER ON HIS NOSE ....
was it a quick shot

bigunwhistle 09-29-2005 01:14 AM

I just used persimmon salt licks. But I was thinking about "The Mineral Rock". What is the Deer Cane made of?

Striper Phil 09-29-2005 03:21 AM

Tried the liquid once and the deer ignored it!! I think the deer react differently in different areas dependent on the availibilty of natural minerals.

PABowhntr 09-29-2005 04:19 AM

Leave it sit on top of the ground. Any type of water activates it...morning dew, rain, etc....

Southern Buck 09-29-2005 09:29 AM

Thanks for yalls advice.

JoeA 09-29-2005 04:21 PM

They work. Some individual deer may have prefer one lick over another, but in general they work. I've seen squirrels and skunks licking them.
Two years ago, my dad & I put a molasses flavored mineral block out behind his house (Elmore Co. AL) and the deer found it right away. With the deer licking it and the rain, it lasted just a bout a year. Once it got to 50% oforiginal size,it "grew legs" so to speak and kinda moved a yardor two everyfew nights.

We set out a gamecamera and got some nice shots of ayoung doe and a 3x3 buck. The doe hadfawns withher last season, and the buck is around but they haven't seen him, just his rubs...bigger than before;)

longrifle1000 09-29-2005 04:57 PM

I used the liquid that has molasses last summer, and the deer tore the ground up. Illinois changed the laws this year, and we can no longer put mineral out any time of year, otherwise I would still be using it. When I used to put just the regular salt or mineral out they ignored it. But the molasses really brought them to it. Good luck