Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fatal shot?

Old 10-01-2002, 08:14 PM

Default Fatal shot?

Hi,can someone tell me on where to place a bulet in a deer withen 30 yd. and make sure it will drop in the same spot using 30-30 ?
Thanks
Old 10-01-2002, 10:11 PM

Default RE: Fatal shot?

Right behind the shoulder about 3-6 inches. This will place the shot right into the deers heart and at 30 yards the animal will never know what hit him.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 10-02-2002, 12:03 AM
Typical Buck

If I understand it right you want the deer to drop dead right in the spot that your bullet hits it. Is this so it will not run onto another property or do you fear it will run far enough that another hunter may tag it or what?

A shot to the spine or the neck or the head will drop a deer in its tracks. But these shooting points are normally not recommended by most hunters. If you can hit a beer can every time from 30 yds. (not from a bench rest but from a normal hunting situation position) you could try one of these shots. A shot through the shoulder into the heart/lung area will sometimes drop a deer on the spot with a cartridge(and bullet type) of sufficient shocking power. I don't know if the 30/30 fits this bill though.

Robin.

Old 10-02-2002, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take the heart shot, I would not recommend the neck shot, because if not perfect you will probably wind up with a wounded animal that will live several days before death, and never be found.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:39 AM

I too recomend the heart shot placement. The 30-30 with a bullet weight for max. shocking power should work well. The animal may not drop in its tracks, but shouldn't go too far.

The spine is the only sure thing for a "spot-drop" but in my experience, spinal hits have been purely accidental.

Good Luck
Old 10-02-2002, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

Shoot it in the brain. I suggest not shooting it in the spine since you may lose a lot if not all backstrap depending if the blood spreads.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:23 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Shoot it in the brain. I suggest not shooting it in the spine since you may lose a lot if not all backstrap depending if the blood spreads. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>Not a good idea. Take the heart/lung shot. It is a much larger target. The deer might not drop in its tracks, but it won't go far. Way too much room for error with a head shot or a spine/neck shot.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:25 AM

It depends on your confidence in youself. If you arent real shure put it right behind the shoulder, if you are real shure you might make a neck or mabye even ear shot. But dont try anything you arent comfortable with.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't take chances. Knock out the lungs and he won't go far.

Old 10-02-2002, 10:43 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Fatal shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.