Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

being married and hunting

Old 09-26-2005, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: being married and hunting

My wife would love if I would stop hunting but it’s not going to happen for a long time. She knew from the day we met that I was a hunter. I had slowed down when we had our kids but now they are out of the nest I’m going full blast and she doesn’t say much except to ask which area I will be hunting.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:06 AM

My fiance is really great about me going bowhunting when the season comes in. If we have something that is more important to do that day of course it gets done first. Just as long as I let her know I plan on going on a set day so that she can make plans it works out great for us both. The way she looks at it also is I could be out running the bars and doing drugs or other bad stuff but she knows that's not me.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

My wife doesn't have a choice.

When we got married I made her sign a paper stating that she had no say in my hunting endeavors.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I found a good one too. She really likes to hunt with me and has taken a couple of nice deer as well. She never gripes about how often I go or how long I go. In the off season, I try to do stuf that she likes to do, but come hunting season, she really respects what I need to do!
Old 09-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

I was lucky in that my wife came from a family of outdoorsmen. She usually does not complain too loudly, except the time a bottle of red fox pee broke in the basement.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

do any of you have wifes or husbons that don't like you hunting and is this what i have to look forward to when i say i do
Definately not man. I'm ont married yet but there are tons of ladies out there that like to hunt themselves or at least tolerate it. It does take some skill to find them though.
i'm not married but MO raises a good point. at least if they tolerate it it should be fine. luckily my girlfriend is fine with hunting but i still haven't gotten her to go yet. i'm not sure her dad will let here right now.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was surprised that my wife supported my taking up deer hunting at the age of about 45. She is surprisingly tolerant of this. Of course, for years I have supported, nay encouraged, her yearly weekend trip out of state with a bevy of lady friends to a weekend-long craft show. They stay in a nice hotel. They go out to dinner. They walk through this craft show all weekend long. They spend a lot of money on what I consider tacky junk. And the have a great time. I guess she must see it in that vein.

Additionally, the circumstances of my deer hunting have always been such that my behavior on the hunt was beyond question. I stayed at my mother-in-law's house and was either on the hunting ground or at my mother-in-law's house. I wasn't out at "deer camp" playing cards and drinking bourbon with the boys and maybe driving in to town for dinner at night.

Nevertheless, I think if played right many women would support their husband participating in deer hunting. First, don't squelch every idea you wife has for doing something social with her girl friends. Don't get in trouble when you are on your own -- this leads to the reasonable expectation that when you are off on your own deer hunting you are liable to get in trouble there too! You might take you kids deer hunting, which unless your wife is a liberal, animal rights person, she will view as a wholesome, character building exercise for your children.

Sure, it is very possible to get support from wives for deer hunting. Don't overdo it, though. Don't be gone all the time hunting -- first dove hunting, then duck hunting, then deer hunting, then turkey hunting, then some other damn thing. That can get old pretty quickly, leaving the wife home holding the bag all the time -- feeding kids, referreeing kid fights alone, loading up the kids to go to the grocery store because they are too young to leave alone at home and you aren't there to babysit while she goes shopping.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is all about compromise and consideration.I wasn't as considerate as I should have been early on.Spouses need attention,children need attention.Yes I love to hunt and I do plenty of it,but with out my family life in order in wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable.
Find some one who understands your passion and you understand theirs!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I COULD NOT ASK FOR A BETTER WIFE ...OFCOURSE THIS IS MY THIRD ONE .....

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 09-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Those with fiancees beware!

Awarning to you boys with fiancees. These little ladies can be all happy and supportive of your hunting now, while they are trying to get that ring on their finger, and suddenly feel completely different about it once the "I do's" are said. I've seen it happen. Furthermore, women are plotters and planners. They can render you virtually incapable of deer hunting before you know it if you arent careful. If you dont pay attention they'll plan your wedding day for opening day of deer season (its just one year, right?). Then, a couple years later they'll start getting frisky in February and you'll think you are king stud of the neighborhood, only to find out nine months later you've got a deer season baby and 18 years of deer seasonbirthdays to work around. And then what's worse is you'll fall for again the next February. And the next. Then, of course, the women who always volunteer to plan class reunions always plan them for when? You guessed it. You'll skip yours, but you'll by gosh be going to hers with her. If you think its just bad luck that your college homecoming always seems to fall on opening day, you're wrong. And then there's all the other poor saps who get suckered into deer season weddings, which you have to attend..on Saturdays. All day. And of course your sweet little wife, who attends church every Sunday rightly points out that the man should be the spiritual leader of his family. And those Sunday school get-togethers always get planned for when?And somehow wives find holidays, and the days before holidays, to be a little more special than us men do. Then, of course, if all else fails there can suddenly be weird noisescoming from her caror rumors about peeping toms in the neighborhood. You think I'm kidding, but I know three guys right now who are lucky to squeeze in 3 or 4 half-days of hunting a season. Oh yeah, after a while those mounts don't go with your decor anymore, either.
Am I right, Cardeer?
LOL!

Quick Reply: being married and hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.