HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Questions to ask before signing lease? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/114228-questions-ask-before-signing-lease.html)

bhw 09-25-2005 06:44 PM

Questions to ask before signing lease?

Gang,

This question is for anyone who has signed a hunting lease agreement...

What are some questions or areas of concern before I sign as a hunter?

Any input is appreciated :)

bhw

fl.huntress 09-25-2005 07:43 PM

RE: Questions to ask before signing lease?

if women are allowed?
pets allowed?
bag limits?
property lines?
guests?

those are some my husband asked but basically the hunt club already had rules established...we either agreed or didn't.

bigtim6656 09-25-2005 11:02 PM

i would look over any proportey before signing and i mean througholy not just looking at it do some scouting make sure it is not a swamp or a cliffy
and i would recommen haveing a lawer look at it it would not cost that much

i would look at what the lease does to protect you from say him selling the property decieding they do not wont you there

i would in writing establish any terms that say what time of day you can be there on what days you can and can not how much of the land you have to hunt

can you plant a foodplot put out feeders put up a tree stand some people sell there trees and might not wont you in them also there has been an issue that was posted about landlocking which mean that you have to go throw someone eles land to get to the spot you are leasing here in ky a person can not rent lease out or sell any that is landlocked if it is you might not beable to get to the place

also have in writing if you are the only hunt on the place and you might try to put in if you are that he has to ask you before letting other hunters there to hunt

kevin1 09-26-2005 05:45 AM

"What am I doing considering an overpriced lease when I can hunt for free ?" comes to mind .

I've never personally had any difficulty finding somewhere to hunt , I rarely hear "No ." , and I get more offers for free land to hunt than can use . I'm not exactly Mr. Personality , so I must be doing something right . Maybe you need to knock on a few more doors ?

BTW , not all public land is created equal either , use a topo map to find smaller , less well known publics or unused access points to larger ones . Either will allow you to have prime land to yourself , or at least a large number of "drivers" who will herd the game to you if you place your stand correctly . Leasing is strictly for those who have no time to scout for free land in my book , don't give up so easily . Indiana is only 3% public land , so if I can do it so can you .

DoctorDeath 09-26-2005 06:07 AM

ACCESS ..MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ANACCESS ROAD TO THE AREA ..

DD

Georgetownboys 09-26-2005 06:44 AM

1. bag limits? They don't always match what your licence will allow.
2. guest, like your kids, can they shoot your alotted game?
3. access rights. Some folks won't let you on during off season ecept for predefined work weekends.
4. back out clause.
5. who are the other folks that lease with you if any.
6. How many guns?
7. Trophy rules, sometime the owner will have rules about what is to small, too big, too young, to old etc. Look close, I have seen leases that fine or break the lease if you don't follow to the letter.
8. Does the land include livestoick, cattle, sheep, goats etc.
9. if your state allows, what rules about feeders, stands and blinds? Some folks have the defined.
10. How are the guns spread out? Can others on the lease hunt your patch if you are not present?

I could go on but you get the idea.

Rebel Hog 09-26-2005 07:36 AM

All the above!