HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Hunting the unusal spots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/114075-hunting-unusal-spots.html)

langshan 09-24-2005 08:52 AM

Hunting the unusal spots

I've been hunting strips of woods, right along busy highways. Plenty of deer sign there. ;)

Criggster 09-24-2005 09:30 AM

RE: Hunting the unusal spots

Here in VA we have a law that states we cannot hunt within 100 yards of a public roadway. Check your state laws, and please be very careful about where your shooting! If you wound a deer there is a chance it will run out into the traffic.

PABowhntr 09-24-2005 10:38 AM

There are definitely some spots that other hunters in my area won't go...whether they just don't look like likely deer hangouts or because it is too thick etc... That is one of the ways I try to find deer each season.

VAhuntr 09-24-2005 11:03 AM

I have hunted near busy highways before and have had pretty good success. One thing I use to look for was deer crossing signs and then try to get permission to hunt the property. You know the states put those signs up for reason;)!

hoyt3 09-24-2005 11:34 AM

criggster-I believe what you meant to say is that in virginia, there are certain counties that have ordinances pertaining to safety zones. I just last week talked to a warden Crider in Clarke county and he said that for his county and mine, all I had to do was pass over the drainage ditch that vdot owns, and pull the trigger. I was a bit taken back, but he is a warden for many a years now. I myself have never been able to find a hard and fast safety zone statement in the vdgif rules book. I also learned that I can carry a loaded weapon in my vehicle if I so choose. I was certainly taken back by that.

Rebel Hog 09-24-2005 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Criggster

Here in VA we have a law that states we cannot hunt within 100 yards of a public roadway. Check your state laws, and please be very careful about where your shooting! If you wound a deer there is a chance it will run out into the traffic.
Here in Fl Also. I have never hunted close to a highway
in fear of hitting a passer by!

huntnma 09-24-2005 01:19 PM

not me,i go as far as i can to get away from it all.......i want to hear the birds and crickets,not cars.......

Little Yellowjacket 09-24-2005 01:36 PM

I agree with Huntnma on this situation.

P.S. Here in Alabama it's only 50 ft. from the nearest ditch.

cardeer 09-24-2005 02:45 PM

I do it all the time.for you guys in pa the exit off 81 near frackville had a small patch of brush in the clover leaf. !0 years ago everytime I got off that exit day or night there were deer bedded in there