HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   watching the open field (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/114018-watching-open-field.html)

mahoningbuck 09-23-2005 06:48 PM

watching the open field

Well tonight boys/girls I had an oppurtunity to see a fresh peice of new turf to hunt. I know that it is late for a new peice but cant complain. Anyways, my girlfriends brother and I get in sitting ina tree line facing north with the wind in our face, see two does with fawns. Then asI get up I see one of the most beautiful bucks I have ever seen. Mind you he is across the open field eighty to one hundred yards away, he freezes, I freeze and we stare each other down. I break the binoculars out and he is symetrical as can be and a ten point from what little light I had. My question is.. . since we never directly entered his plot of woods would he be spooked to come out there again? It was barely light enough to see anything (our eyes) do you think he will be pushed out? Do you think it would be alright to go in there in the morning to set up my stand? Finally, would any minerals/feed keep him close? This is central Ohio and the rut is a month away! Thoughts???

PABowhntr 09-23-2005 07:03 PM

RE: watching the open field

I didn't get the impression from your post that the buck really picked up on you. In which case I would see no problem with you going to set up a stand there tomorrow. As for keeping him in the area....he was there for a reason. What was it? Food? The does? Figure that out and you will answer your own question.

Rebel Hog 09-23-2005 07:04 PM

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

I didn't get the impression from your post that the buck really picked up on you. In which case I would see no problem with you going to set up a stand there tomorrow. As for keeping him in the area....he was there for a reason. What was it? Food? The does? Figure that out and you will answer your own question.
DITTO!

mahoningbuck 09-23-2005 08:14 PM

In the late morning I am going to travel over there to that side of the field and see what those does were eating in that tree line. I think it was an apple tree but only time will tell. He did not wind us at all he just saw us. Even if he saw us do you think he would still hang tight to the thick crap? This area is not out in the country, it is a growing community with light to moderate human traffic. It is a forty eight acre plot.

Zoomer 09-23-2005 08:23 PM

A 10 pointer!!. I would beat you girlfriends brother into silence/submission and hunt that parcel hard my friend. That deer had no idea what you were - 100 yards away and no scent..

Remember he's a 10 pointer for a reason - he's not stupid. Plan the hunt and hunt the plan. I wish you success

cardeer 09-24-2005 01:53 AM

gOT TO HUNT WHERE THE DEER ARE

heeze gutshot shortee 09-24-2005 06:47 AM

Get up ..set up....hes curious....the does and fawns didnt go anywhere....why would the Big Boy? Dont tell everyone about the buck...or itll turn into a train station...Just hush and hunt!!

webejonesin2 09-24-2005 07:46 AM

good luk! keep us posted.

mahoningbuck 09-24-2005 11:42 AM

Thanks for the advise and I will keep you posted on the progress! I hope I get him before the better halfs brother does. . . it is his first year hunting and he doesnt know all the ins and outs but. . . stranger things have happened!