HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What ammunition do I need to use? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/113798-what-ammunition-do-i-need-use.html)

Southern Buck 09-22-2005 09:01 AM

What ammunition do I need to use?

I hunt on a long narrow feild that is about 50 yards wide and about 500 yards long. I hunt with a 30-06 and would like to know what is the best ammunition to use.

nchawkeye 09-22-2005 10:17 AM

RE: What ammunition do I need to use?

Any 150gr loading in '06 will do the trick....those are made for deer...
My brother has had good luck with the CoreLokts and Federal Premium SPBT
and a buddy of mine uses the 150gr Hornady loading...They both kill deer...
I would buy a couple different brands and see how well your gun groups them.

Zoomer 09-22-2005 11:40 AM

Do you load your own or buy factory stuff? I do both and have had tremendous success with the Winchester Supremes (Moly coated Nosler Ballistic Tips) in both 150 Grain and 168 Grain. I shoot them exclusively now at deer.

T-bird 09-22-2005 12:09 PM

Find the brand/load that your rifle shoots the best --- my -06 likes the Winchester Supreme 168gr Ballistic Silvertip. All of themajor ammo manufacturers make good stuff, so I'd suggest trying several brands and bullet weights to see which one groups the best out of your gun, then stick with it.

StrutnBPS 09-22-2005 10:46 PM

Buy a couple boxes of different kinds and shoot. Thats the only reason to find out which does best in your rifle. What does best in mine, might be terrible in yours.

I like the Winchester line up and the Hornady's are hard to beat.

skeeter 7MM 09-22-2005 11:12 PM

If your expecting longer shots (ie: 150 +) then I think a boattail design would lend itself well to this situation. I personally like Ballistic Tips for deer myself and have taken a number with these type bullets ranging from under 100 yards(expect larger holes in this case) to 400 yards, in all case one shot kills with none travelling more than 50 yards after being punched through the lungs.

Many boattails to choose from so like mentioned pick up a few boxes and go from their. IME the Ballistic Tips are pretty hard to beat for accuracy though!!! The Accubond or interbond might be worth consideration as well and should hold it's weight better in the event you do get a closer range shot. My experience is only with the Accubond and its accuracy was excellent, keeping pretty close to the NBT's. I haven't used the AB on deer but did manage to harvest a Bull Elk and Bull Moose last fall with 160gr out of my 7mm rem mag. 150's or 165-168 grainers to help in trajectory loss would be my suggestion. When I used factory ammo I would always start with Federal Premium, then if required Winchester Supreme and Hornady Custom.

Rebel Hog 09-23-2005 04:08 AM

Agree with Strut!

Southern Buck 09-23-2005 05:38 AM

Thanks for your advise. looks like ive got a lot of shooting to do.

heeze gutshot shortee 09-26-2005 10:53 PM

THE KILLIN KIND