Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
DUMBEST THINGS WEVE EVER DONE IN THE WOODS? >

DUMBEST THINGS WEVE EVER DONE IN THE WOODS?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DUMBEST THINGS WEVE EVER DONE IN THE WOODS?

Old 10-01-2002, 09:50 AM

Default DUMBEST THINGS WEVE EVER DONE IN THE WOODS?

Although i am embarrassed about this and hate to admit it i once accidentally fired my rifle off in the woods. I was so mad at myself for being so careless and was very glad no one was near me at the time. I always prided myself on being very careful and still ended up doing something that could have harmed some one else.

Also we all joke about this but its not really funny for him , but my brother in law once ran over (or backed over) his own bow with his 4-wheeler. He is kinda like myself considered as accident prone. He really messed up his bow so it wasnt funny to him but he sure gets a lot of ribbing about it.

any one else brave enough to admit a silly error or a mistake they`ve made?
Old 10-01-2002, 11:22 AM

Default RE: DUMBEST THINGS WEVE EVER DONE IN THE WOODS?

A few weeks ago I forgot my boots. Had to hunt wearing my sandles! It was kinda comfy actually.

Another time I got to my treestand and decided to walk down the trail a little farther to check a tree I scoped out. Left my bow back by the stand and sure enough, a nice buck walked out into a perfect shooting lane. On the same hunt, I found out that I had lost my release while walking to my stand. Wouldn't have been able to shoot that deer anyways!

-Mike

Old 10-01-2002, 02:55 PM

Last season, after a long and unsuccessful hunt, me and a buddy got back to my truck and put our gear away and started unloading our rifles. I was standing by the drivers door of my truck and he was on the passenger side and fired off a round that damn near shot me, and did shoot the truck .the round went through my seat, lower cab, and hit the gas tank (full). we were about 16 miles from anyone or anyplace. I had to drive like a bat out of hell to a gas station. when we got there, we were out of gas and on fumes. so, before putting gas in the truck ,I had to fix both holes so the tank would hold gas well enough to get us home .(it still poured gas) and we were 80 miles from home .I wrapped a stick with duct tape and we had to stop at every gas station on the way home and fill up just so we wouldnt be walking .it cost about 80$ in gas and 34$ to have the tank repaired and yes ,I was praying to the good Lord that I was not shot.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:59 PM

a few years ago I lost my release. i was done hunting for the night and putting my bow away. I always put my release in the case with the bow, but for some reason i left it on the ground. not thinking about it, when i came to hunt the next week, as i was getting my stuff together, i see part of my release on the ground, after the landowner had accidentally mowed over it.

i've had rubber peep sight tubing break and hit me in the face when i was drawn up on a nice buck.

back before i was carrying a gun, and just walking along with my dad, in his rush to get me dressed in the morning, he actually forgot his gun at home, 20 minutes away.

my uncle had his 12 gauge go off while it was slung over his shoulder. it was early in the morning, like he had just got there, way to early to even see. he's just standing in his stand, gun on it's sling, waiting for daylight. he had a fixed blade knife on his belt, and somehow it tripped the safety on his 870, and fired the gun, right by his face. he was shaken, but uninjured, and the knife found it's way to a creek.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:31 PM

Last season I took my stand up about 20ft and as I was getting comfortable my foot rest wedge broke loose fell to the ground. I forgot to hook the safty strap on, or rather I didn't double check it.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 10-01-2002, 04:58 PM

When i was young(13) i dropped my dads 12 gauge out of the tree into the mud below...he wasn't happy......he also forgot his screw in choke tube for turkey hunting and he was set up and light before he realized...two big toms walked by him right after dawn...funny!!!!

Buck or doe big or small they all taste the same and are a trophy in my book.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Ate a big breakfast and didnt take any toilet paper with me.

Old 10-02-2002, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

Was hunting a large swamp edge after a good snow a few years back and as I was slow walkin thru some thick scrub pines I noticed an antler about 35yds away, all I could see was 1 antler so I froze and slowly raised my gun, eased off safe and pulled back the hammer and waited, and waited, and waited but the damn thing would not move out into the open for a clean shot. I stood there for what must have been 5 minutes with my heart pounding in my throat making my almost deaf with the noise. Finally I could not hold the gun steady anymore and thought I have to make the first move so I stepped through a gap in the pines for a better vantage point and coughed............. Still not a budge, so I started inching my way forward with the gun still at the ready (damn they sure do get heavy) as I got sloser I see this lone shed hanging in a tree about 3 feet off the ground. Felt like an idiot and all I could think of was a Far Side cartoon with a bunch of deer siting on an adjacent hill waiting for the next dumb a$$ hunter to entertain them. The shed is now a nice centerpiece/candleholder for our xmas dinner table.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Ate a big breakfast and didnt take any toilet paper with me.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Oops!

Old 10-02-2002, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Dumbest thing in the woods?

Well well, lessee. There are so many...

First major sized buck I down, I'm shaking like a leaf. The buck runs off a bit, I see it topple over about 50 yards or so away. My legs are wobbly. Put gun down and ruuuuuun run run over to the deer, not paying attention to a thing. Look at deer for a moment. Too excited. Dress deer and start draggin'. By now its dark. Look for gun... c'est la vie.

Quick Reply: DUMBEST THINGS WEVE EVER DONE IN THE WOODS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.