Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 7mm-08 120gr. Nosler BT for whitetails >

7mm-08 120gr. Nosler BT for whitetails

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

7mm-08 120gr. Nosler BT for whitetails

Old 09-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 7mm-08 120gr. Nosler BT for whitetails

Well I guess I am either lucky or our large deer are wussy's b/c theBallistic Tip Style Bullethas accounted for over 30 harvests of deer and antelope. It just pure flattens them if used appropriately. This includes understanding the design of the bullet first off though. BT's are designed to expand rapidly and are meant to expand under lower velocity for longer range shots.If you meet media at high velocity it will cause such a bullet to expand even faster. If I recall right Nosler designed them for velocities of 2700fps or under when hitting the target. Simply put if you expect your shots to be under 100, then pick a different bullet. If you like to aim at the shoulder, pick another bullet. If you don't like large wound channels (AKA; Holes), pick another bullet. However if your hunting encompasses short to long range shot on any given moment and you aim behind the shoulder the BT will most certainly get it done on deer sized game. I have yet to loose an animal to one and all have topple in less than 50 yards (with a good number folding tent at the shot). Yes they make larger holes when closer or higher velocity and if they should touch heavy bone but I understand and expect this fact. Idon't worry much about the rib meat on a deer any way. I have seen failures from many bullets but most were human failure not the manufacturer...so makean educated choice based on your situation.

I would also bump up to 140gr regardless of which design you choosefor the 7mm 08. If you want to shoot 120 grs then give Barnes a go!

Best of luck!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:29 PM

I've shot deer with the Federal Ballistic tips, Winchester Ballistic Silvertips (same bullet, the silvertip just has a nickel casing and a lubaloy coating on the bullet) and the Winchester Fail Safes in my 7mm08. I've taken several deer with each, but I prefer the Fail Safes of these 3 for one reason: when that deer is standing on the edge of thick cover and you can drop it with a shoulder shot versus trailing through the thick stuff, the Fail Safe can be shot into the shoulder blade to drop it in its tracks whereas the others can't (reliably anyway) Also take a look at the new Accubonds, either Hornady or Federal started loading them in140gr 7mm08 this year. They look like a BT and do expand well, but they have the jacket bonded to the core so they can't fragment or lose weight so they keep penetrating.

Edit: should have added that the Fail Safe is made for deep penetration and comes in different grades, cpx2 for thin skinned game and cpx3 (though I'm not too sure this is an option in a 7mm08) for heavy-skinned game like elk or moose
Old 09-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Good choice Tim!
Old 09-24-2005, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

GUYS I REALLY HAVE NO DOG IN THIS FIGHT BUT I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU ON THE BALLISTIC TIPS ... I WAS ASKED BY MY OUTFIITER IN CANADA TO BRING THEM WHEN I WENT UP LAST YEAR TO WT DEER HUNT AND HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR THEM I DOUBT I WOULD HAVE RECOVERED THE BIG BUCK THAT I HARVESTED ... THE DEER WEIGHED 335lbs .... I WOULD NOT CALL THAT A "VARMINT" OR "SMALL" .... I AM NOT A BALLISTICS EXPERT BUT THIS WAS A TRUE EXPERIENCE THAT I HAD USING THEM ...THEY WORK WELL FOR ME ...AS FOR THE DAMAGE TO THE MEAT I THINK THAT MOST LIKELY IS A TRUE STATEMENT AND IF I WERE JUST MEAT HUNTING I WOULD CONSIDER USING A DIFFERENT CARTRAGE BUT IF YOUR HORN HUNTING THE BALLISTIC TIP IS A GREAT CONSIDERATION IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

DD
ROLL TIDE
Old 09-26-2005, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

It Will Kill!!
Old 09-28-2005, 08:50 PM

As a fan of the 7mm-08 cartridge Ive tried a lot of bullets and so far the 120 nosler has proven itself a good all around choice for both accuracy and knockdown I also use it in My 7br both guns happen to be pistols so Im not quite hitting rifle velocities. I also do not take trophys and I usually prefer to take my shots either just behind and below the ear or the back of the head/spine junction. Ive used this bullet on everything from 250yds+ on coyotes to 300lbs hogs andhave never had to hunt a blood trail. with the ear shot you either hit them and they drop there or you miss and youve got no worries.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

HELL I CAN'T EVEN SEE AN EAR AT 300 YARDS ;>((

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 09-29-2005, 08:13 PM

Neither can I, But my good friends Burris, Bushnell and Leupold all happen to have dang good eyes.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

I love my 7-08 which I shoot 139gr Hornady innerlocs with Varget.I also own an old 250-3000 Savage which I shoot 110gr Hornadys.I was very impressed with the killing power of that little 25 pushing 110grs.Course you don't want to be takin them in the hind quarter either.I believe that the 7-08 would push 120 grains faster and be a very lethal setup,providing shot placement was right.Ron
Old 10-21-2005, 08:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have not used the 120 grain Ballistic tip but loaded to about 2700 fps, it should work very well. I have however shot several mule deer with the 120 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter bulles. It performed very well indeed. I load them to about 2700-2800 fps. The 140 grain Ballistic tips work very well. The 120 Ballistic tip is intended more for large vamits. Like I said though if you slow it down a little, I think they would work well.

Quick Reply: 7mm-08 120gr. Nosler BT for whitetails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.