Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

stinking antlers!

Old 09-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: stinking antlers!

my dad cleans the skin and meat off of them and then puts the skull portion in a plastic bag of salt and leaves htem for a while, like until he finds a place for them. right now we jsut have a pile of them in the garage
Old 09-21-2005, 11:39 PM

The only good use I have found for fire ants. As said, tie them to a tree or brick or something for a dog or coon or whatever won't drag them off.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:10 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: FlDeerman

Right,I use the ant trick,works every time.Be sure and cover the antlers of a dog or something might drag it off.
Any dog or coon bold enough to try to steal from fire ants will richly deserve what it gets . []
Old 09-22-2005, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always just skinned all the tissue off with a sharp pocket knife. No big deal, might take 30-45 minutes of careful cutting.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

i always skinned the bones and tissue from mine and used a little bit of bleach
Old 09-22-2005, 08:16 AM

When I decide to keep the fur on the scalp, I carefully cut between the skull and the skin to open up a gap. I then fill with coarse salt for a week, empty the salt and then add fresh salt repeating 2-3 more times. Never had a problem after that!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

If I understand your question correctly, you are just wanting the set of antlers. Just clean them the best you can and then stick them in a ant bed for a couple of weeks them bad boys will take care of anything that you could not get off of the horns. Or if you know some one with a pond you can tie them off and throw them in for a couple of weeks.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:56 PM

Sounds like you already left the hide on too long and have a rotten piece, plus lingering smell. Well, all the good advice you got was truly geared toward "next time" and keeping it from happening again. This time, you need to remove the rotten material, as well as eliminate the smell.

Dont boil in bleach, its not safe. Also, bleach will break down bone if not done correctly, as well as bleach the antler too. If you wanna whiten skulls using bleach, carefully paint it onto the skull and avoid the antler bases and allow to dry out in the sun. Dont boil stinking skulls indoors, unless youre single, or want tobe.

Smelly skulls can be soaked in water with borax for a couple hours and then allowed to dry. You can also scour the skull with borax to clean it up and remove the odor.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

i've always just salted them after taking them off, and I've yet to have any issues.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

another way you can do it is.. take a saw cut the antlers off and let it sit up in a tree.. it kind of works like the ants. bugs will eat away that tissue left and it will get rid of the odor..

Quick Reply: stinking antlers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.