HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Diabetic Hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/113442-diabetic-hunters.html)

bgcorn 09-19-2005 11:18 AM

Diabetic Hunters

Are there any diabetic hunters here? I have had diabetes for 10 years recently my doctor switched me from taking pills to taking insulin with each meal. How do you manage your blod sugar control on days you are hunting?

Terasec 09-19-2005 11:51 AM

RE: Diabetic Hunters

I am not diabetic,
But have family member that is,
first thing, dont hunt alone,
bring snacks, water,
try to maintain your diet even in the field,
and pack your insulin, supplies, just like any other nessecity

Vogt_51 09-19-2005 12:23 PM

Maybe you could check in the Disabled Hunters forum. Not that I am saying that you are any more disabled than I am.....probably actually less so:D. But there are a bunch of guys in there who are very friendly and could give you some pointers maybe. Good Luck

Rebel Hog 09-19-2005 01:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Terasec

I am not diabetic,
But have family member that is,
first thing, dont hunt alone,
bring snacks, water,
try to maintain your diet even in the field,
and pack your insulin, supplies, just like any other nessecity

DITTO!

TomFromTheShade 09-19-2005 03:01 PM

I would think that you could still hunt alone. Just make sure that people know where you are hunting and what time to expect you back. Carry a two way radio or cell phone in the field with you. Also, like any other medication, make sure that you take it on time, and keep your diet in check. Diabetes isn't the end of the world. If you start to feel tired, don't be afraid to head back to the truck and call someone to pick you up. Sometimes you have to check your pride when it comes to your health. Sh*t, we're all getting older, and you have to take better care of yourself. Just like a car with 150,000 miles, or that comfy recliner you bought in 1972...there are a lot of good years left...you just have to take it easy on yourself lol.

andy_o 09-19-2005 07:39 PM

Ive got alot of family and a good buddy who are diabetic and all I can say is do whatTerasec said and check your blood sugar a little more often if your doing alot of physical activity.

huntnma 09-20-2005 04:48 PM

checking your blood sugar is a must, nothing is more scary than being a mile away from no one and you get that fainty feeling.....brings your lunch or at least some fruit or something to snack on.....i wont go more than 4 hours without eating...that's why my butt's so big , lol.....but i'd rather be hunting than passed out somewhere......

Bowtech9 09-24-2005 09:54 AM

First, I am a insulin dependent hunter. The fact that use now have to use insulin should not change what you have been doing along. Good diet & exercise and common sense!

As far as hunting goes, be sure you eat before you go out, check your sugar before you go,take your insulin accordingly. If you are staying out all day pack your lunch and insulin already drawn in a syringe. You can estimate the coverage you need for lunch based on what you packed for lunch. It wouldn't hurt to take a little less than more, you don't want a low sugar attack 15 ft in the air. Have you ever experienced a low sugar attack, it can be scary but don't worry stay calm. There have been many a times I took my shot 15 ft up in a tree. Be sure to also pack water, snacks and MOST importantly some glucose tablets. If you have to walk a mile tracking that deer your sugar may crash and you need to bring it up quickly and then eat some snacks immediately.

okcmco 09-24-2005 10:14 AM

Here is something you might consider. A cell for, or if you are way out in the sticks, A satelite phone. I think a sat phone can give position and you can call from anywhere even if there is no cell sewvice. You may also carry aGPS as with this you can tell you exact position. Take all of the other precaustions. Mydiabetic best friend and I hunt together but hes is still not on the insulin shots. He makes sure he is regularly eating (5 or 6 small meals a day) and always has diabetic friendly snacks with him. He schooled me one what the symptoms of a diabetic episode look like.
Have you asked your doctor about hunting alone?
okcmco

soarkrebel 09-24-2005 10:04 PM

I am diabetic and live life as a normal person. I take my avandamet 1/500 three times a day and check my blood . If you are stable with your treatment you should be ok. I mean a few months ago they ( the FDA ) took avandamet off the market and i had to change meds. I was screwed up BAD!!!!!!! I was on glucovance and the doctor didnt get the dosage right and brother let me tell you i almost didnt wake up. my wife tried to wake me and i was super groggy . my glucose level was 60! After a orange and a few other things i was ok. The meds caused my insulin level to shoot up and sank me like a rock!
Be aware of the feelings of low levels. I would get weak ,sweaty and even dizzy. EAT something quick! even the stuff your not supposed to eat.

I have thought long and hard about it . they say you should be around 95 . i don't like the way i feel when my glucose level is there . I have more energy around 115 to 140. I have even adjusted my meds and food to try and stay in that range (it's not easy!) . The doctor said my A1C 's are good so keep doing it.

Just prepare and live life . Don't stop doing stuff you love!!!!!!

You know It is bad enough to hear all the stuff that it does and the reality is our lives may be cut short by it. I realize this and have decided i am going to live as i want . I take my meds and watch but i am not going to say "oh i better not go cause i might have a problem!)
Prepare a little and go enjoy!!!!!!!

Hey Just my opinion I would rather die having a blast outdoors then die in a hospital or nursing home anyday! And we all are going to die huh??????

Enjoy!